Solved

t-monile home internet is barely providing basic data speeds sometimds.

• 20 September 2021
  • 29 replies

Show first post

29 replies

Badge

I’ve had essentially the same experience. T-Mobile has essentially oversold their 5G home service that went from strong in the Spring to non-functional by August. Now they just claim they are congested and have no intention of expanding their capacity to meet the demand they sold. They say speeds of less than 10, or even 1, out of the 150 they promised, are fine during normal waking hours, and if you don’t like it you can leave. Pretty sure that’s call theft and fraud. 

You are likely dealing with Wi-Fi interference if you are using the built in wifi6 router . Turn those off and get  a nice mesh system. Trust me I thought I was gonna go bonkers until I did it myself . Also these things thermal throttle with heavy use. 5g modems get 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥. Buy a p.c Fan with feet and a USB power plug  120mm and plug it in the back then set the modem on top . 

Remove the BATTERY as well from the bottom. Great videos out there on why you should and how. Takes 5 min and no skill but taking 4 screws out. Battery overheats> modem gets too 🔥🔥> thermal throttles>>> crappy speeds.the end.

Badge

@hank has some good stuff about boosting your signal, but my router reports very good signal and it worked great for the first few weeks...  now pretty much unusable.  have they pushed out a bad firmware update or something????

are things working better this morning for anyone else?  literally did not change the position of the router.

almost like someone came into the office and gave the servers a kick or something…. 🤔

Badge +1

After reading this thread it seems to me that this is all because of tower switchover and nothing to do but waiting until it's completed. Now if someone wants to explain to me when you do try to change settings on the gateway's website it asks for username and password, what would that be? Thanks for any help.

I think I have a good outcome. Hope everyone else gets same from T-Mobile.

I was having same issues as many have voiced here.

Had service with good performance for about 8 mos and all of the sudden download speeds were garbage.

first call to support was 2 days ago. Frustrated with the rep reading from a script of hollow pleasantries. Had a slight bump in download speeds and hoped it would continue, but it did not.

called again today and was firm and direct - but respectful - in my communications with the rep, providing evidence from speedtest.net results that something in T-mobiles network admin and settings was affecting my service.

Rep said he would do some stuff, communicate with engineering and get back to me. He called back about three hours later and said they are still working on it and would be back in touch with me in the next 2-3 days.

as of this evening, i am getting the best network performance I’ve ever experienced at my house in northeast GA. Three speedtest.net results at 5pm, 8pm and 10pm have all been between 160-180mbps down and >53mbps up. And unless something very recently has changed, I’m in an LTE coverage area, not 5G.

I hope this improvement is stable and permanent, but as of right now very satisfied.