Thermal Issues With Home Internet Gateway/Router as a Cause of Dropped/Slow Internet or Wi-Fi Connection

Show first post

34 replies

been moving it. and it over heating  with 2 device. both passive connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The existing design of the 5g gateway alows for a 1/4 inch area at the bottom for incoming airflow. Besides adding the fan at the top, I also added 1/4 inch high self adhesive feet to the underside of the unit to double the intake flow area. Unfortunately, my gateway always runs slow so that it is unusable. T-mobile told me that they are working on my nearby tower (for three months now).

Userlevel 2
Badge

@ Stary, Thank you. Do you have any sense of whether the original window location was receiving more direct sunshine than the second location? T-Mobile’s installation instructions cautions customers not to place the unit in direct sunlight, which of course translates to increased temperatures.

We had the same problem. To me the root cause was the advice given to us subscribers to place the unit near window.

I moved the unit place with clear view via double glass sliding patio door that is 18 feet away. The modem is sitting on a top of 5 feet high cabinet.

No problems anymore; both up and down load speeds are excellent.

No outage over the last 2 months. Bar count is absolutely stable.

Our roof (including the porch) is metal.  No problems either (no Faraday cage effect).

Userlevel 2
Badge

Great, Smoky, this is exactly the kind of documentation we need. Now if you could do one more thing: Take the fan away, set the tower up like it was when it was losing connection and see how long it runs without needing a reset. It would also be helpful if you can verify that the extra airflow is the only thing that changed, that is, you didn’t move the gateway to a new spot, etc.

Badge

I had same problem was constantly losing internet during May.  It went down 8 times in 30 days, always came back right back on after power down and back on with button on back of 5G tower.  Listened to advice on forum and ordered USB fan to set 5G tower on, that was on June 10th, it is now July 11th and haven’t had a single day with needing to do the power down.  Definitely a overheating problem in their 5G tower design.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m having to update my post here as the edit function doesn’t seem to exist.

IMPORTANT: To reboot, use the power switch; power off for 30 seconds and then power back up using the switch. If you attempt a reset by unplugging the AC adapter a portion of the modem will remain powered by the battery. I’m not sure you can get an effective reset by using that method.

Badge

Having that same issue my connectivity started to become an issue and I’ve only had it for 2 months. Was very good WiFi strength to now currently weak WiFi strength. I’ve restarted the home gateway but I’ve never gotten back to very good WiFi strength even though I have coverage. Lately even my cell phone (iPhone 11 pro max) has been experiencing terrible cellular coverage having only one bar. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Been there.  Done that.  Here’s my public record of troubleshooting over the last few months.

I summarized my findings for easy reference here.

And I will add that my current uptime is only 3 days and 16 hours.  The last reboot I documented in my Weekly Reboot thread was probably around a week ago during a period of heavy bidirectional transfer.  But then I had to reboot a few days ago when I wasn’t even on my computer.

Rebooting is annoying but I’d rather do that once a week as opposed to the issues I was having with my previous provider where a reboot did nothing.  I’m in more control now.  I’m only using T-Mobile for home internet and my phones have been on Verizon for years.  If Verizon starts offering a similar service in my area I will be quick to try it out and switch if it’s more stable.