Question

Thoughts on buying a backup gateway

• 23 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I know T-Mobile doesn't sell gateways for the home internet, how that's been said let's go on.

I  found a seller on ebay selling, new Nok 5G21 for $90. They look like a respectable dealer, they are new with a clean IMEI, not sure if I can put a link on the board so for now I will wait.

I have had the home internet since Nov 21 and for the most part have been happy with it. I have been worried about the gateway going down and having to wait days or longer for a replacement. My understanding is that we can’t go to the local T-M store and just swap it out.  Also I have had good speed  without adding any exterior antennas on my Trash Can, and it just seems to be getting better with time today for the first time I got over 500Mbps download but slowed up (Go figure).

I know others have bought gateways off eBay for back ups, I would like to know if any of you have used the gateway you bought? Or any thoughts from anyone.

I was thinking as long as it has a clean IMEI I could just remove the card and put it in the new gateway and everything would work, just like swapping the SIM in your phone.

Am I overthinking this? Thanks for your input.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Before you buy one on eBay you need to confirm the IMEI is not blacklisted for some reason. CheckMend.com can be used to verify there is not a problem with an IMEI. The seller should be willing to verify the IMEI number is not compromised. If they can’t or will not then it may be buyer beware. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank you, for the info, I have purchased it always so I can check when it gets here.next week. I believe the seller is trustworthy. Do you know if you can just swap the sims out and it works?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have not done so myself but I believe that should work. I saw another community post where a user had done the same thing and he had no issue with the SIM swap. There are different sites you can use to confirm the IMEI. Such as: https://www.imei.info

It could be completely legitimate. The router could have been reconditioned and that is why it is being offered up for sale.I would assume T-Mobile has a third party that handles that aspect of the business. Given it is a Nokia it could well that one had no affiliation to T-Mobile. I really can’t say. 

Having a backup router would be nice. I really prefer the Nokia over the Arcadyan gateway as the software is more mature. So far my Nokia has been rock solid since I got it back in early January 2021.