Question

TMobile Home internet

Show first post

27 replies

This is a new technology so it has a new challenge. I got my device week before and I was getting just 25-30mbps. I started digging into it and found that it is connecting B2 on primary but n71 on secondary. I used cellmapper.net and found that I am actually on intersection of two towers, one with n71 and second with n41 and noticed that it is switching two towers time by time and when it is connected to n41 , then I get 120 - 130 mbps download speed which is really good.

I tried to position gateway. At the same spot , if I place , then I get only n71 only but if I rotate 180 degree at the same spot, then I get n71 and n41 and it stays on n41 but once a while it switch back to n71 and then I have to reboot the device (without changing position) to switch back to n41. I wish it stays on n41 forever. 

so looks like if you are on n41, then will get good speed. n71 will give low speed but still within t-mobile promise of average speed.

Also advice to new users that right after first startup , you may get very low speed (like I had 14mbps) and that is because after first startup, it takes ~2 hours (as per tech support) to fully provision to get higher speed.

This will definitely sound paranoid, but I think T-Mobile is trying to break down my mental health. My gateway device suddenly stopped working on Sep 9th. I was told it was a firmware update that made it so my unit was no longer compatible with the tower. Unfortunately, the agent didn’t confirm my mailing address and they sent the replacement to my old address where I hadn’t lived for a few months. Someone in customer service didn’t update my billing and service address accurately. When I received a second replacement unit, it arrived without a SIM card. I was asked to take the SIM card from the old tower. I have a lot of talents, but this isn’t one of them. I ended up jamming the SIM card and it didn’t work. I received another device, again without a SIM card. I was told to go into a store and get a SIM card. I did that and again, the device still didn’t work. 

If you can believe it, my “customer service experience” and the T-Mobile marketing slogan about caring about their customers has been the opposite of what they advertise as 20 days later I’m still going through this. I went into a local store and the store did a warranty check for the third device I received. The manager concluded I should have a fourth device shipped to the store and I would be notified when it arrived. I received a text from T-Mobile saying they were charging me for the hotspot usage they said they would provide for free given I need internet in order to work. I went to the store for a meeting I thought I had with the manager this morning to discuss billing and alas, they were not there. Too boot, apparently the device arrived and I was not notified.

I’ve been on the phone with T-Mobile for 30-45 minutes everyday since Sep 9th. They’re trying to charge me for hotspot usage they said they were giving me to remedy the situation, and yesterday I found myself in tears over this because I am so genuinely frustrated by all this.  Anyone that has asked me since yesterday how I’m doing learns this story. My work colleague let me know that Verizon might have a better solution with their Jet Pack? I’m going to investigate later today. Any advice? Thoughts? Is anyone else experiencing this insanity?