Question

Tmobile Home Internet

• 20 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m having a problem with my T-Mobile home internet where sometimes the speed is unbearable. I’m talking speeds as low as 5 mbps. Does anyone know how you can fix this problem?

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

check the information at the top of the forum page “Internet Setup Video”

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@ali2005, you are describing an alignment issue with your gateway and cell tower. I recall a similar situation when I thought I was connected to a n41 band, but I was not. 

Use your T-Mobile Internet app, and let us know a few metrics:

1. how many bars do you see on the screen?
  2. tap the MORE link at the bottom of the screen > Advanced cellular metrics > let us know what the LTE metrics read and 5G metrics. Hopefully your 5G is attached to a cell tower that offers 5G n41.
  3. Please confirm that you used the Placement Assistant function on the app > More about Connection quality > Launch placement assistant > OK! lets do this > and watch the video so you are clear on the placement construct. Then go through the prompts to share your location (or enter your address), You may need to try a few different locations to get a better signal in your house based on the outside environment (trees, buildings, etc.). 

Good luck!

Badge

I have the same issue if I can jump in…. but only in the morning, 3 bars, connected to 5G

.8 miles from tower, connected to N41,  the only metrics that is bad at  SINR at 2.6

call for help, they see nothing, re-boot each time I call, two days ago they sent me a new gatway, same trouble.

Badge

@ali2005, you are describing an alignment issue with your gateway and cell tower. I recall a similar situation when I thought I was connected to a n41 band, but I was not. 

Use your T-Mobile Internet app, and let us know a few metrics:

1. how many bars do you see on the screen?
  2. tap the MORE link at the bottom of the screen > Advanced cellular metrics > let us know what the LTE metrics read and 5G metrics. Hopefully your 5G is attached to a cell tower that offers 5G n41.
  3. Please confirm that you used the Placement Assistant function on the app > More about Connection quality > Launch placement assistant > OK! lets do this > and watch the video so you are clear on the placement construct. Then go through the prompts to share your location (or enter your address), You may need to try a few different locations to get a better signal in your house based on the outside environment (trees, buildings, etc.). 

Good luck!

Hey @copz1998, thanks for the quick reply. Most of time I get 4 bars. The LTE metrics read 10 on CQI, -89 on RSSI, -10 on RSRQ, -100 on RSRP, 8 on SINR, and b66 for Band. For my 5G metrics, it reads -6 on RSRQ, -103 on RSRP, 4 on SINR, and n41 for Band. Concerning the Placement Assistant, I did use it to find where to put the Home Internet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks. 

For 5G:

• RSRQ - a metric for the gateway’s received signal quality - ideal values are -10 or less (yours is -6 - Good!)
  • RSRP - a metric of signal strength go your gateway (from the cell tower) - idea -80 of less (yours is 103 - not good, as if you are on the edge of your cell tower signal)
  • SINR - a metric to signal to noise interference (other signals your gateway picks up that interferes with your 5G signal) - ideal values are 20 or higher (yours is 4 - poor).

For perspective - mine are RSRQ - 12, RSRP -77, SINR 14 and my download/upload speeds are just fine. 

From your metrics, we can conclude - 1) your signal strength is poor, so you will not be able to achieve good download/uploads. 2) your SINR shows that you have competing signals (LTE, other 5G, etc.) that your gateway is trying to sort out, which is reducing your signal efficiency. 

Recommendations - I would open the T-Mobile app and go to the 5G metrics and then think about the placement of your gateway. There are two different positions to consider; 1) location in proximity to your cell tower, and 2) gateway antennas. Generally the Arcadyan and Sagemcom gateway antennas for 5G are located at the 4 corners. So, plan on 30 minutes and start the moving process - after locating the gateway in the position that gives you the highest number of bars on the display, then start (slowly) rotating the gateway in a circle, ¼ or 1/8 turn at a time, trying to see increase your RSRP to something in the area of -80. You may need to leave the gateway in the position for 2-3 minutes. You can refresh the page/signal by swiping down after each test. 

Let us know how it turns out.