Question

Tmobile home internet slow peak times

• 4 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I just switched over from years of having Cox cable internet to Tmobile 5g home internet a few days ago. Setting it up was a breeze but the service was initially horrible. We tried to stream from two TVs  at the same time,  and both tvs kept cutting out and buffering. It reminded of the first days of streaming Netflix from my Wii in 2008. Granted, I did set up the gateway in the early evening hours, which are peak usage hours. I did move my Arcadyan gateway in various areas that the app's placement assistant told me would be ideal; I was getting mostly 3-4 bars or good to very good connection. I proceeded to call tech support after that. Long story short, after an hour on the phone, the only solution was to look into a mesh wifi system or wifi extenders. However, the next day in morning until about 4pm, the service was excellent. Much like the speeds I gotten with cable internet. 

My question is to anyone who may have the same experience as myself or anyone who is tech-savvy, would having a mesh system help increase internet speed or strengthen the signal from the tower during peak times? I'm asking because Tmobile has a promotion to buy up to three Google nest routers for $54/each, and I'm thinking of going that route. 

I do live in a busy area. I'm in the Washington dc metropolitan/northern VA suburbs; there are an abundance of 4G& even 5G towers in close proximity to my residence; but also a high population of traffic and use of these same towers especially peak times.

I really only want to be able to stream via Roku boxes on two tvs on evenings & weekends. Otherwise, the only other devices used on the gateway are two smartphones, a smart thermostat and a Ring camera. So if there are there are any other suggestions to up my speeds, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I may have to switch back to my previous cable service. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As a frequent visitor to the Manassas area and as much as I hate Cox...  You are better off with Cox for the consistency.  DMV traffic is rough and with the people that take the Metro as well.  Cell towers always seem much slower, even in off peak hours compared to down here in Hampton.  The pure congestion of people will always impact your TMHI in the DMV.

Yeah, you will pay more but ask to speak to loyalty for a better deal.  We were paying $60 plux tax for the $300 Megabit service as long as you agree to keep the service for a year.  We own our own modem though.  When we moved a couple of months ago.  Our current place has Cox business internet included.

Badge

Thank you for your input!