Unstable Home Wifi

• 15 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I set up the Home Wifi service on July 1, 2022 and had 10 days of solid service. Went on vacation for four weeks. Upon return found the Home Wifi unstable with the interest connection frequently dropping on all my devices (phones, smart TV and computers). Five calls to Technical Service, many turn off/turn on, resets, checks of tower signals, and the replacement of my gateway box...still the problem continues. After insisting, spoke to an IT Engineer and asked to have a trouble ticket opened.  I see now this problem with a dropping internet connection is not “new” news to T-Mobile. 

BTW: Turning off Wifi on my phone and setting up a Hot Spot works without problem. Can even stream Amazon and Netflix.

Will be calling T-Mobile IT Engineer soon.

7 replies

Badge

I continue to have the same problems. I have called in to tech lines, all who promised to escalate to the engineer level. I have been told three times that I was accidentally connected to the wrong cell tower that was too far away. I have been told this has to do with all of the 5G upgrades at towers. I have also been told that is not true. Anyway, things were going fine for a while, but for the last 6 weeks service drops at least once a day, and for the last 2 weeks, prolonged outages every day. Started today around 6 am. We use Hulu as our streaming service, so all programs have been stalling, freezing, and just plain “unable to connect” and other message screens. My speed numbers have been fantastic, and one minute later, barely registering. The ping is ridiculously high, one reading was 1330ms. Done all of the usual tasks, rebooted this unit 8 times since last night. Tv has been up for the last 4 hours, but it is MADDENING. Freezes every 60 seconds, starts the conversations over and over. Took 2 hours longer to try and watch a show today. As a side note, Hulu told me that one problem they have with T-MOBILE is they constantly change ip addresses, & that make Hulu think that you are changing physical location, which you are only allowed to do 4 times. Otherwise they think that you are giving out your PW. This has happened to me 6 times, during which time I am blocked, and have to call in to Hulu. Their engineers tell that TM doesn’t interface with them correctly, and was rolled out too soon before throughly testing, but it is being worked on at TM. This is getting really OLD. I am investigating other services now, but I won’t make the mistake of not checking chat rooms, complaints, etc. before I settle on a new one. Oh, and now the tv & all of the wireless devices are totally out. Cellphones, with a different company, are fine. Guess we’ll be watching tv on the iPad tonight. 🙄

I am so upset with TMobile right now. I have three ZTE 4g LTE hotspots which suddenly went from 4g to 2g. Come to find out TMobile needs bandwidth and is retiring all older devices. Mine are about 5 years old. I went out and looked into upgrading to a newer ZTE hotspot just to find out they also are refused to 2g. Sooooo  sad that since they don't have enough band width they make everyone with hotspots pay. Looks like 5G hotspot is the only option at TMobile.  I will be going over to ATT.

Update on myt-mobile  above. I found a work around but I was still forced to change out all my ZTE hotspots. I saw t-mobile sells a 4g LTE hotspot (Alcatel 2) which also uses voice bands.. this gets around the lack of bandwidth on all the data frequencies such as 77. So I am staying with T-Mobile. At least until they cut that one off too. Keeping fingers crossed that they don't read this. I have very fast data in the 10meg speed.  I also like to stay with T-Mobile since it handshakes with Cellular One which I use on the road in the back country where there isn't any T-Mobile.. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

It's probably overheating. 

Not Overheating. T-mobie said due to lack of bandwidth it was degrading all 3G devices. I got an email from T-mobile in May saying that my 3G devices would no longer work staring in July. I called service saying my hotspots were 4g and not 3g. I was told that "then they would be ok". Toward the end of July all three of my ZTE hotspots were degraded to 2G. My Amazon echo is on one hotspot and it began stuttering. My security camera on another hotspot slowed downloading it's videos and my TIVo on another hotspot could no longer play videos. I live in the country and depend on my hotspots. Anyway my new three multi-band hotspots work on 4G.  I only pay $10 per month per hotspot.

I should clarify. If your screen now says 2G, you have been down graded. No ifs, ands or buts.  My gripe was that T-Mobile said all devices that are 3G were to be down graded in July to 2G but mine were 4G hotspots. Hotspots can't operate at 3G since you can't get data over 3G.  I always say to myself, if something is going to happen, it is going to happen to me.

I should clarify. If your screen now says 2G, you have been down graded. No ifs, ands or buts.  My gripe was that T-Mobile said all devices that are 3G were to be down graded in July to 2G but mine were 4G hotspots. Hotspots can't operate at 3G since you can't get data over 3G.  I always say to myself, if something is going to happen, it is going to happen to me.

3G is also data. 3G was what brought mainstream data.