Question

VoIP with t-home internet

• 10 March 2021
  • 27 replies

Show first post

27 replies

Just got done talking (live Chat) to Magic Jack.   All looked good with the exception on the “Ping”   Magic Jack wants   25ms or less and I’m getting about 31 at the time of the Test.    Magic Jack says that a higher ping can cause some Audio Issues.  Of Course, Magic Jack says to contact “My Internet Provider” about the higher Pings,  and if I did that, I’m sure T Mobile Home Internet Techs would say contact Magic Jack about rising there Ping Tolerances.   

Currently I would say my Magic Jack is working,  Dial Tone is clear,  I’m able to send and receive calls.   So if from time to time (which I had with spectrum too) I have an issue  it is well worth it to have magic Jack for the saving and just deal with an occasional hick up.   We here still have 2 cell phones for back up calling.

Their Comments;  (Magic Jack)

“Since you are going to reach your internet service provider. I will be also suggesting you to ask for them for assistance in opening internal ports 5060-5070 on your router (UDP). These are the ports that allow the magicJack to communicate on your router/modem.

Also, please check with your internet service provider/router manufacturer to check if it's possible to disable the settings called "SIP ALG" on your router/modem. This setting could be interfering with the magicJack service (though it is intended to be helpful) and can cause audio issues specifically​ one-way audio (the other caller can’t hear you but you can hear them and vice versa).

Based on the result of your internet connection, it seems that one of the minimum requirements of magicJack does not meet by your internet connection  (less than  25ms ping/latency), which can cause audio issues and a technical problem with magicJack service. You will need to consult with your internet service provider, they may lower latency/ ping with your internet connection.”

Hello,

I just stated with T Mobile Home Internet and needed to work out a few bugs.  (Security IP Cameras, VOIP, VPN).  I too use Magic Jack.   All these issues cleared up once I connected an external wireless Router (Asus RT-AC1200).    My Magic Jack works great now.

Hope this helps,

Bob