Question

VoIP with t-home internet

• 10 March 2021
  • 27 replies

Show first post

27 replies

I have used Ooma home VoIP for several years. During Covid with cable internet (very fast speed) I can major issues. The problem was jitter and the cable node being bombarded by Zoom from Home school kids. Everyone focuses on the download and forgot the upload. Covid seemed to open some eyes. 
I was concerned about VoIP as that’s our old home phone (yeah, I’ve had a cell phone for 35 years, too). Ooma specifically said it works with TMobile. It does. Better than 400MBS cable. I can’t speak for Magic Jack. Ooma requires a Telo device (about 80 bucks on Amazon) and the service is “free” (you pay taxes which for me in PA is about 7.25 a month). I had Ooma Premier for several years for robo call blocking and caller-ID with name and free second line. I just dropped it. Same or less robocalls. Uploaded phone book to Oooma so we get everyone we know caller ID name. YMMV. 

Forgot to add---Using the Arcadyn box connected by ethernet to Google Mesh WiFi. I connected the Google Mesh main node by ethernet to a big switch, and my VoIP box is all ethernet to the TMobile box. VoIP really needs ethernet. Ooma even likes you to connect to the cable modem directly (could do that via the second Arcadyn ethernet port but why bother, works great now). 
I’ve only been on TMobile home internet for a couple months, but it has been perfect so far. My connection is modest at best, no great cell coverage and all the numbers on my phone app are mediocre. However, the service rarely drops below 20MBS down, 3 or so up (usually faster) and I have not noticed any issues streaming or using the phone. I am not a heavy streamer (at all) so my speed needs are pretty low. 

Just got done talking (live Chat) to Magic Jack.   All looked good with the exception on the “Ping”   Magic Jack wants   25ms or less and I’m getting about 31 at the time of the Test.    Magic Jack says that a higher ping can cause some Audio Issues.  Of Course, Magic Jack says to contact “My Internet Provider” about the higher Pings,  and if I did that, I’m sure T Mobile Home Internet Techs would say contact Magic Jack about rising there Ping Tolerances.   

Currently I would say my Magic Jack is working,  Dial Tone is clear,  I’m able to send and receive calls.   So if from time to time (which I had with spectrum too) I have an issue  it is well worth it to have magic Jack for the saving and just deal with an occasional hick up.   We here still have 2 cell phones for back up calling.

Their Comments;  (Magic Jack)

“Since you are going to reach your internet service provider. I will be also suggesting you to ask for them for assistance in opening internal ports 5060-5070 on your router (UDP). These are the ports that allow the magicJack to communicate on your router/modem.

Also, please check with your internet service provider/router manufacturer to check if it's possible to disable the settings called "SIP ALG" on your router/modem. This setting could be interfering with the magicJack service (though it is intended to be helpful) and can cause audio issues specifically​ one-way audio (the other caller can’t hear you but you can hear them and vice versa).

Based on the result of your internet connection, it seems that one of the minimum requirements of magicJack does not meet by your internet connection  (less than  25ms ping/latency), which can cause audio issues and a technical problem with magicJack service. You will need to consult with your internet service provider, they may lower latency/ ping with your internet connection.”