Question

WAN LAN Port Aggregation

• 16 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Does anyone know if the Device support WAN Aggregation?  Both ports are active so it may be possible.  No place on the device interface to turn it on which you usually have to do with Cable modems.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

In current firmware, no.  Not sure if the hardware would support it, in any event. Otoh, each port on the Nokia gateway supports full duplex gigabit (confirmed by the smart ethernet switch attached to my gateway), so it’s extremely unlikely that you’d be getting anywhere near that kind of throughput over your cellular connection. Afaik, only one person reported download speeds > 1 Gbps, and that was only briefly, and not sustainable. If you’re looking to use it for link load balancing among your devices, a smart switch probably would be much more configurable and less hassle in the long term, as it looks like T-Mobile is not planning to greatly enhance the capabilities of its gateways in the near future. Specs for the new gateway that is just now becoming available don’t look like a large improvement over the Nokia gateway, and T-Mobile’s strategy for firmware seems more aimed at providing a narrower set of options to simplify (in their opinion, at least) setup and operation for the end users.

I tried it today and it did not work.  Looks like I am stuck with load balanced dual wan.