Question

Weird balance upload and download.

• 28 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Badge

Upload speeds under 10mbps and download up to 400 mbps. While showing only two bars. I do have a personal router which i have to have tor security and camera systems. Whats up??

10 replies

Me, too. And tired of it.

Badge

Mostly on Band b66, RSSi of -84, RSRQ of -9, RSRP of -111 and SINR of 0.8

Can the band be changed?

Badge

I don't think you can pick the band. If I'm wrong how do i do it?

I was hoping you knew.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The band mentioned above is LTE.  Do you know what 5G bands you are using?

Badge

Opps forgot to switch it. N41 band sinr of 40 rsrp of -105 and rsrq of -11 Thanks for the heads up!

How can I find out?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Opps forgot to switch it. N41 band sinr of 40 rsrp of -105 and rsrq of -11 Thanks for the heads up!

So the N41 band is a fast 5G band that is range limited. The upload speeds are controlled by the transmitted power of your router, which is pretty limited on N41.  You seem to be getting good downloads because you have acceptable power levels coming from the tower.  I am in a rural location, and I have a similar problem to you but not as dramatic…..maybe 250 download & 30 upload on N41.  When my router switches to the N71 band, which is not as fast as N41 but has greater range, I usually see about 50-60 upload and 90-100 download.  I attribute this to the output power of the router being better suited to N71 when distances to the tower are large and signal is weak.  In other words, N41 doesn’t give good upload speeds when signal conditions are marginal like yours.  If upload is important, then you would be better off on N71 (even though you might sacrifice some download speed).

Unfortunately, there is no direct way to connect to N71 (assuming your local tower even supports it).  However, some folks have reported (as counter-intuitive as it may seem) that positioning your router in a *less favorable* location in your house may force a switch to N71.  Someone even reported wrapping the gateway partially in aluminum foil forces a switch to N71 and as a result their upload problems went away.  You can try this and monitor your app to see what bands are being auto-selected as you try different things, but its sounds like your signal may be too weak for N41 for reliable upload.

Badge

Thanks I'll give it a shot.