Question

Weird connection

• 26 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I just got home Internet a few weeks ago. It didn't work the entire time because of a wrong location setting on T-Mobiles side. This got fixed today. The Internet then worked great for about 2 hours, and now it's back to not working. I have 4 bars on the gateway, and it says I'm connected. But I have virtually no download speed. I do however have good upload speed for some reason. What's going on?

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@theboogster2, what do your “Advanced cellular metrics” in your TMO HI app show?  If you post screenshots of both the “LTE” and “5G” metrics the community might be in a position to better help you.

Badge

Badge

It also varies wildly. Last night I had download speeds of around .5 and this morning it's 9.3. I'm really confused on why it's so inconsistent 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@theboogster2 your metrics look good for 5G (which is what you really want). 

RSRQ of 13  is a measure of the quality of signal  quality your gateway receives (> -10 is good)

RSRP of 103 is a measure of signal power (strength) your gateway receives ((> -80 is good)

SINR of 40 is a measure of signal to noise ratio (> 20 is good)

So, your metrics show that your gateway “should” be getting good download/upload speeds. Don’t focus so much on the number of bars on the front display, it's the metrics that are helpful. 

Maybe call customer support again and have them resend a new signal to the gateway? Your metrics are similar to mine and I get 100+ Mbps down and 45+ Mbps upload. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Badge

@copz1998 they just did a reset on it last night. It was set for the wrong location. It worked for a while after they changed it, but now it's back to not working. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

You did what you could do. I would take it to a local T-MOBILE store and ask for an exchange unit. You may need to explain your situation., I am sure they will be happy to exchange it, 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Slight elaboration to what copz1998 said….a power lever higher than -80 is good (meaning -75 is better than -80), but yours is -103...not so great for the N41 band.   Other folks have reported that the router is overly aggressive in trying to select the N41 band when it should really be connecting to the N71 band which is slightly slower but has a much greater signal range.  It sounds crazy, but you might try finding a *worse* location for your router and see if you can force it to connect to N71.  I have a friend that blocked 2 of the router’s antennas with aluminum foil to focrce an N71 connection and it solved his problem that was similar to yours.