Question

why did my gateway suddenly change server location?

• 7 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Usually my internet gateway gets it's signal from Orlando. This helps direct it to local content, especially when I try to watch live content on my PBS feed. Lately I've noticed that it seems to randomly change locations. Right now it's getting signal from Tampa. What gives here? Has anyone else experienced the problems with live PBS broadcast telling me I'm out of area?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

ISP address in not supposed to imply your location but web programmers have misused the information this way. Sloppy programming.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Usually my internet gateway gets it's signal from Orlando. This helps direct it to local content, especially when I try to watch live content on my PBS feed. Lately I've noticed that it seems to randomly change locations. Right now it's getting signal from Tampa. What gives here? Has anyone else experienced the problems with live PBS broadcast telling me I'm out of area?

I had the location problem with my state’s lottery page.  With the Edge browser, I was able to resolve the issue by changing various location settings, including typing in my address at one point.  It has worked every time since I did that.  With Chrome, I was not able to resolve the problem and can’t use the site. With Firefox, I just had to click in “allow location” in a pop-up box and that worked, but don’t know if that will work every time.

Badge

Since my TV and Firestick do not store location, the problem occurs when I try to watch PBS live stream and my IP address keeps changing without my knowledge. I can try to reset it with MaxcMind and it will work for a little while till suddenly it stops. Right now it points to Tampa where it used to point to Orlando.