Question

Why T-Mobile??!

• 15 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

Signed up for T-Mobile Home Internet 3 months ago. First couple of weeks, fantastic. After that, began experiencing dropped connections every few hours. Figured it was the heat. Put the gateway on top of a 3” high egg rack with a 9” fan blowing on high at the gateway, and things stabilized so that we only had to reboot the gateway every couple of days in order to re-establish a connection.

For the past month, however, things have been going sharply downhill. Over the past 2 weeks, internet has been completely unusable for streaming during ‘peak” times (evenings /weekends). Today, internet has been totally unusable: download speed in teens and low 20’s when it’s “good”, upload speed maxes out at 0.3 to 0.5. Speed test shows 96% loss. That’s not a typo.

Data consumption currently shows 118GB total combined usage for 2 phones and the gateway. Speed became unusable around the time we hit 100GB. However, we have regular “Home Internet” - NOT “Home Internet Lite”. We were promised unlimited 5G Home Internet data with our 2-line Magenta Max plan. But T-mobile has fallen far short and is not delivering on its promises.

It’s so bad, T-Mobile is making even Spectrum look good. Tried to chat with support, and “Khasmirjoy” literally never even once responded to any question or comment in the chat, even though checkmarks appeared showing they’d been read.

I have finally had enough and today signed up for AT&T 1Gig Fiber but that won’t be installed until a week from today. We work from home and simply cannot go a full week with T-mobile’s useless “internet”. 

What I’d like to know is what is going on? Why does it seem that most people with T-Mobile Home Internet get the promised speeds for a month or two before T-Mo apparently begins throttling down so bad it becomes unusable? Why is support SOOOOO bad (nonexistent)? And 96% loss, seriously??!

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same, their “reliable and fast” 5g internet is anything but.  It’s a complete waste of time and it seems all the people who do have good connections, already have cable available.  I’ve yet to see one person who doesn’t live in a major metropolitan area that hasn’t had the same issue.  My box says 5 bar connection, and yet speed tests don’t even want to run half the time and when I post this, it’s going to take a minute or two.