Question

why TMobile home internet so bad

• 24 May 2023
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

When I first got my gateway it worked ok 6 months now and it sucks so bad I can't play games and half the time my wife can't even watch her shows without it buffing I think TMobile needs to stop making new stuff and fix theyre crappy service when I get another service in dropping this crap

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Perform a few checks:

1.  Use the TMHI ‘app’ to check your general performance - ‘Connection Quality’ on the home tab
  2. On the ‘More’ tab, check the ‘Advanced Cellular Metrics’ - take a look on the 5G tab to see the the RSRQ, RSRP, SINR and Band are.  Band should be N41.  Each entry has a status description as well as status.
  3. File (call) T-Mobile for support  (summer leaves in some places will cause issues with n41 - 
  4. Better location (use the Home page - Placement tool).
Userlevel 1
Badge

If you have multiple towers in your area, monitor which you're connected to when you have issues (CGI in the advanced metrics). I started having very poor service and finally figured out it was always when I got bounced off my home tower to another down the street. Although, even though I figured out what the issue is, tmobile will do nothing to fix the poor service on the one tower. 

Userlevel 1

I’m having the same issue. We joined with them in January 2023 and it was GREAT service until April 2023 and now it SUCKS!!! Always buffering, cutting in and out, says we have a good connection but nothing loads. I’ve called and spent over 11 hours on the phone with them and they’re just as useless as the service is now. They messed something up on the tower maintenance in April and can’t seem to figure it out. I live 1.2miles from their tower… no excuses. 

Userlevel 1

Your internet  sucks!  Everyday  I'm  having issues, I work from home and this is unacceptable!

It’s Sunday 7/16/23 and nothing is working.  Modem is showing connection is “very good” but no device which I try to stream a video on works - TV, phone, tablet.  I rebooted several times the modem and devices and nothing loads on any service.  Slower devices like security cameras and thermostat seem to be connected.  When I first got TMo wireless internet I was getting speeds in excess of 200mbps, but 8 months later it is 30 at best and once I even saw 3.   Shameful service!  No wonder Spectrum in its recent commercials is pointing out how bad TMo internet is.  America 2023…

We had great service from T mobile for 5 months.  20 to 30 M speeds.  Now we are lucky to get 2. Can’t stream TV or play games.  I lost the connection to my Tmobile phone as well.  They have done something with their network or our account. Did they shutdown the Sprint towers?  I have been on with Tech support for hours, gone to the store and no help. They sent me a new tower.  No difference.  I asked about a new sim card and they said that was not the issue.  Tmobile kind of just threw up their hands and said go somewhere else.  The problem is we don’t have any other options.  Sucks!!!!!

I am having the same type issues as everyone else here...was great at first but now I can barely even load email much less download a file or watch streaming TV. 

I work from home and the home internet service just isn’t good enough. I was told T-Mobile doesn’t throttle speeds, but they CLEARLY do...I hate to say it, but if the issues aren’t fix and fixed quickly, I will HAVE to switch providers. My job depends on reliable home internet and, at the moment, T-Mobile home internet isn’t reliable and just isn’t good enough.

In the same boat. Started using TMHI in May of 2021 in northern WI. It was stable and solid for two years and then two months ago it became very inconsistent. My cell metrics hasn’t changed since first installed but since the last two months my speeds have been all over the place. If feels like a bandwidth or maybe a throttling issue. They did send me another gateway but still having the same issue. 

In the same boat. Started using TMHI in May of 2021 in northern WI. It was stable and solid for two years and then two months ago it became very inconsistent. My cell metrics hasn’t changed since first installed but since the last two months my speeds have been all over the place. If feels like a bandwidth or maybe a throttling issue. They did send me another gateway but still having the same issue. 

Yeah, It is so frustrating because it work so well at first! I am not sure what the issue the last few months has been, but if they don’t fix it and fix it quickly, I’ll have no choice but to switch.

All  the marketing showing how fast t mobile is..........

It can be fast, more than most households need, but home Internet can be so slow it can't handle streaming 1 TV show.

My phone is always fast.  Even though it is smaller,  runs on a battery, and the location varies. But t mobile gives so much priority to cell phones, my home doesn't have the 25 needed to stream a TV show at certain times.

Fortunately my wifi router allows me to tether my phone to it, and set it as the primary WAN connection. 

Never thought I would use my 50 gb of hotspot data 1 foot away from my  gateway with unlimited data.  

Maybe some day t mobile will get good enough at traffic shaping to allow home Internet users to have decent bandwidth, while phones have ludicrous speed, but people have complained for years.

Hopefully my sagecomm router supports carrier aggregation.  My S23 does, but do I need 3 gig to my phone?  I worked in a small data center, hundreds of computers, and they averaged 1 gig at the edge.

Everyone is saying the same thing   it worked ok for the first 6 months not even good just ok  then boom I’m getting 1 mbps and it’s saying excellent strength  there is no reason for the internet to be this bad I’ve paid for cheaper internet’s that gave us better quality this isn’t ok and your doing nothing to fix the problem I wouldn’t even Recommend this to someone that is trying to save money 

I was chatting with Tmobile (again) several days ago, about one of the other issues I have had with them.  I had given up commenting on their home internet, and then he said “is there anything else...” so I mentioned it with low expectations  ( expected reboot devices, move my gateway, etc…I knew it was not on my end  - having been a network engineer for several years).

He mentioned about sending new hardware and I declined.  He then mentioned something about refreshing their network settings on their end.  I did have to reboot the gateway, but after they did something on their end, they said it would take 24 for 48 hours to take full effect (odd, but OK)

It has been a few days past the 48 hours and it has been good, but too early to say it is reliable.  I have a speed test app on my phone so I have a easy way to track the history of my bandwidth and ping.
 A week ago, when I had trouble streaming at 4:45 pm (before the refresh), I was getting 35.5 Mbps download, which can barely support streaming at 4k quality.  Usually I get 250+Mbps which is way more than needed.

Time will tell if the fix on their end will fix it.

We’re having the same issues as everyone else. Joined in Jan ‘23 it was great. Not as fast as our Soectrum was, but spectrum was bogged down on evenings and weekends and super expensive. Last month our service went poopoo and I’m getting about 10-12 Mbps download now. Not really good enough for streaming on a single tv. Wife and I bohh t work from home, luckily we don’t need high speeds. We get better speed hotspotting from our phones with smaller antennas, battery powered and  unfixed locations. Frustrated. 

Badge

It seems to me that they do this on purpose to save money! They hook you on the good internet for 6 months and then drag you along with these unhelpful “fixes” until you realize that it will never be the same. We all have the same problem and they all tried the same solutions and it seems to not be working. I was offered a new router and I accepted it. Been using it but nothing seems to work. I play videogames and use an ethernet cable even though its a few feet away and it still seems to have high ping and lags constantly. Debating on switching to the fiber optic but its quite expensive. This is ridiculous!

Hi, checking in from Carlsbad California.  We switched over about a year ago.  The home internet was never good but passable.  We travel frequently and our security system and cameras require internet, they now go down consistently and have to be manually reset.  Small problem when your not at the house.

Currently, we lose signal 20 times a day and the download speeds are awful.

we are debating whether to wait for the ting fiber or just go back to spectrum this week.

customer service is awful for home internet since they can’t resolve.

bad option for this part of the country.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Have had home Internet for over a year. On my 3rd hotspot (useless router.) My problem is the constant outages. Every single day it goes down. I work remote and this is unacceptable.  They say ‘cheap is sometimes expensive.’ Couldn’t be more true with T-Mobile home Internet. Am now exploring other companys. I know it’s going to cost more but I’ll gladly pay it to get out of this amateur joke of a service.

Tijuana tower, att tower, unknown tower when there is a T-Mobile tower very close.  Terrible option for Carlsbad ca.  goes down 20 times a day not counting buffering and the techs are unable to do anything.  As mentioned above, no good options in Carlsbad.  Did hear a neighbor went to spectrum commercial for $280 per month and seems satisfied.  We live in a third world country.  Thank goodness ting is coming for $89/mo.  Signed up.  Just resigning myself that it will take another 6-12 months.

Now phone service is having problems.  They are so bad in Carlsbad ca.  today 30 plus times internet went down.  No phone service.  Hard when trying to work from home.  Stay away

Absolutely useless, the past 3 months I have had no Internet more than I have had Internet. TMO even sent me a new "router". No fixes, it goes offline probably over 40 times a day. But! The router says service is good. 

I'm over wasting money and trying to deal with their technical support.

I’m so happy, after waiting an hour at the store, dropped off the gateway after changing over to a crappy spectrum internet package.  While we don’t have great speed 65/15 everything has been up and running for the last few days.  Spectrum is coming out on Wednesday to check the connections but life is good after a year and a half of that terrible Tmobile gateway.

I thought it was bad at 7-9 Mbps.  Had been over 400 for a couple months, regularly.  Evern got to 1.3Gbps one time.  Now? A joke.

Pages load slowly, and the browser complains about OVERFLOW.

The signal numbers are close, and the box has been in the same spot.  But consistently, even at 7AM, the speed is in the dumper.

Who knew that the honeymoon was over so soon?

WIsh I knew a way to reshuffle the deck a bit.

I been having the same issues and can’t seem to get any internet that can make my fire stick and/or other internet devices function properly! This is definitely a regretful decision I made leaving old provider and getting this slow and no service home internet!! I am gonna post bad reviews on any websites and Google for sure about this home internet issue! 

I think i'm starting to experience the same issues that everyone else is.  Supposedly if we're not on a contract we can leave. I'll go back to pay more comcast if I need to.  At least their connections were reliable.

I wonder if the headshed at t mobile evem reads these community forums.....

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

doubtful...then again not overly sure what a headshed is..the site is primarily peer to peer assistance with a handful of moderators/admins to keep the site in order only..