Question

can the following features be added to the 5G Home gateway?

• 4 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

I am a network engineer. I’d like to be able to adjust many things on my network. Because I live in a rural area and this Internet is much better than the local wired Internet.

The following features need to be added to future firmware. 
First: device renaming. Giving everything a generic name and not allowing me to change it so I can monitor my devices has to be fixed.

Second: better firmware upgrade options. Right now you have to search the Internet to even know if there is a new firmware then download it and upgrade your device. Most devices today automatically check the server and can do the install right from the server.

Third: QOS! I have wired devices that need more bandwidth when utilized and I need to QOS that. Almost all of today’s home routers have QOS ability.

Fourth: notification settings. I need to be notified if a new device is trying to connect either to the management or as a new Wi-Fi device. Almost like adding 2FA to the device.

Fifth: a better web interface. The current interface is lacking a lot of ability. I cannot list my devices nor can I really manage the unit well. The mobile device is a lot better.

The software seems rushed and not well tested. I volunteer to become a beta tester and to work with the network people to really make this a great communication device.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can’t agree more! QOS is important, and for me, UPNP, for PLEX mostly. Or, better yet, until these features are added, just allow the device to be in bridge mode so then we can choose the router with these features. However, it remains to be seen if UPNP would work due to TMO’s network configuration (something to do with IPv4 over IPv6 I believe?). Another useful feature would be static DHCP, especially for things like NASes or RDP/RPC. That might bring this thing up to the range of features which has been provided by dd-wrt for probably a decade or more?

yeah seriously QoS is needed!

Do you have the Nokia GW? I have the Arcadyan and can rename the SSID and I can see all devices on my network. Now, this is with the Android app, not the browser interface. You can’t do much of anything there.

Still, no QoS and no notifications.

I think I solved all your problems by not having them in the first place. I have 5 routers running 2 mess networks with GB backhauls.

I simply plugged my primary router into the TM gateway and everything is just like it was with my prior ISP. I happily ignore the TM provided WIFI and that WIFI does not interfere with my prior/existing network.

Just by/setup whatever router meets your needs and you will be all set.

I need to see the devices on my network. It should be very easy to make the software so that I can rename “e821” into “IPad pro” and “58bb” into “unknown device, maybe my neighbor.” Now I only have IP addresses I can write down on a piece of paper and try to guess one by one which device they belong to. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@iTinkeralot  any ideas on this one?