TP Link only connect at 2.4 GHz

• 20 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Got a TMobile box and hooked up with TPLink DecoM4 AC1200. Connected fine and I added 2 more units. Still slow and just checked computer and it is connected to 2.4 vs 5. How can I change that?  Thanks. In simple terms, please. 😊

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Destin5440 can you connect devices to just the gateway? Check the speeds and performance. Is it better? 

Also check the placement of your gateway? Are you in alignment with your cell tower? 

if the speed is better then you should double-check the settings of the TPLink device. Is DNS pointing to the gateway?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a router connected to the gateway? What is it that you're trying to accomplish. Did you shut off DHCP on the router and put it into Access Point mode? Remember that there can only be one DHCP server on a network and DHCP can't be disabled on the T-Mobile gateway.

I have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway which is a MIMO device. I have found the coverage to be excellent and certainly equal to the TP-Link AX50 I was using prior to switching over to T-Mobile. What happens to your reception and speeds when you disconnect the TP-Link router and just use the T-Mobile gateway?