Solved

2G Phaseout Free phone to customers still using 2G phones

• 20 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

I got a letter from T-mobile saying that one of my phones is for 2G and since 2G is being phased out, I can get a free phone.

I went to the “Corporate” T-mobile store (261 N Springboro Pike Rd, Dayton, OH 45449) and showed the letter to one of their reps.  He was going to give me a “free” Motorola 5G since I am still using a 2G phone. However, in addition to charging me with tax & update fee totaling to more  than $40, he also wanted me to give him my old phone!

Is this really the process for getting the supposedly free phone from T-mobile?

Hopefully an authorized T-mobile employee will answer my question.

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 24 October 2023, 00:39

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the site is peer to peer with a handful of admins/moderators to keep the site in order only. admins/moderators do not have account access

with that being said though.. @HeavenM might have some info on this one. i dont believe i have heard of there needing to be a trade in but then again if theyre doing a free swap pretty much then i can see them needing the phone to show that it was in fact traded in as a 2G phone for the free 5G phone.

Badge

Thanks for the quick response fireguy_6364. I love holding to old technology that I own instead of scrapping or trading them in.

I hope I can hear from somebody who actually have gone through the process of getting a free phone due to the 2G phaseout.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you sign into your MyTmobile account and go to upgrade phones the free phones will show but the phone is free.

You should be able to keep your phone unless there's a trade in clause in the letter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there! Staying connected is always the goal so we do have a couple programs that allow you to get into 5G devices without paying an arm and a leg. The most popular option right now is the 5G for All offer that allows you to trade in any phone in any condition and get a 5G phone. That one does have a little bit of upfront cost, but the phone is free via bill credits over 24 months. 

If you can share more information about the letter or a picture without sharing account details, we might be able to get you more helpful information for your situation. 

Badge

HeavenM,

I have attached the letter I got.

Thanks to people responding ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank you for the letter. It does provide the context that I needed to know exactly what you are looking for. That letter is for our limited time Network Retirement offers. It can be super frustrating to have to redo steps, so I want to do my best to reduce some effort on your part. You will need to go back to the store (You can go to a different location if you want). Have them review the Network Retirement: Totally Free Phone Program. They have internal resources that they can review that shows them what to look for on your account and how to process the phone swap so there is not guesswork at all. 

I hope this helps! 

Badge

Hi, we didn’t receive a letter, but my family has two 2G flipphones on the legacy Gold Rewards pay as you go plan.  Are we eligible for this offer?  If so, what do we need to do to get a letter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi, we didn’t receive a letter, but my family has two 2G flipphones on the legacy Gold Rewards pay as you go plan.  Are we eligible for this offer?  If so, what do we need to do to get a letter?

https://www.t-mobile.com/customers/umts-retirement-notice

Badge

Thank you for sharing the link, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  After reviewing this link, I see that for the 3G retirement last year, you had to log into your T-Mobile account to see the offers.  Is that the same process for the 2G shutdown? 

I was looking on the T-Mobile website and saw the information at the following link: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/2g-retirement  I then went to a few different T-Mobile stores (I found the company store listings on the T-Mobile website, not the third-party stores) with the print-out of this link, but every store told me that they are unable to help us.  At this point, we are unsure of what we need to do prior to the 2G shutdown.

Hi!  I got the same letter but is being charge for the devices for the transition and still dealing with T-Mobile on this issue as we speak!  I would like to see if a T-Mobile represent who knows about this transition to further assistant me. I have been dealing with T-Mobile since 12/2023. 

thank you.