Question

Add a line promotion

• 9 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

I recently added my mother-in-law to my family’s plan and she got a “free phone” with her new line. I’ve now tried disconnecting a different line (not in an attempt to find a loophole or anything, just because I don’t want to keep paying for a phone line for my brother’s ex-girlfriend) that doesn’t have a promotion on it and I was told that I would lose the promotion on my mother-in-law’s line if I disconnect another line. 

I’m not even seeing the promotion details on my account (it’s not listed as a device promo or a service promo) so I can’t find the “fine print.” The only details I can find are these:

“Promo Code: P617
Start Date: December 7, 2023
Credit: up to or $29.17/mo. for 24 months

Contact us before cancelling account to continue remaining bill credits, or credits stop & balance on required finance agreement is due (e.g., $999.99 – Google Pixel 8 Pro 128GB). Tax on pre-credit price due at sale. Limited-time offer; subject to change. Qualifying credit and service required. Available online only. If you have cancelled lines in past 90 days, you may need to reactivate them first. $35 device connection charge due at sale. Up to $700 via bill credits; must be active and in good standing to receive credits; allow 2 bill cycles. Max 4 discounted devices/account. May not be combinable with some offers or discounts.

Get $700 off Google Pixel 8, 8 Pro, 7, or 7 Pro via 24 monthly bill credits when you purchase on a monthly payment plan and activate a new voice line on an eligible Go5G, Magenta, or ONE plan.”

Does anybody have the promotion agreement on this so I can actually review it?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

could it be due to a certain amount of lines on the account itself and removing one will dip it under the promo?

@HeavenM 

any idea which promo that one is?

Badge

I don’t think so. I currently have 7 lines and my understanding of what the customer service agent said is that I would lose the promotion because I have to keep the same number of lines after adding the line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

hrm..heaven might be able to answer this one..i would think any amount of lines over a certain amount seeing as how nothing is really happening to the new line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you recently canceled a line you need to reactivate it to get a free line in most cases.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

what about in the reverse? they added a free line but are removing a completely different line and are getting hit with this. i would think 7 lines going to 6 or even going right back to 7 wouldnt have any issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Usually these promos have the condition that you can't ternimate another line for at least 90 days.  That may have been changed to the entire life of the promotion to coincide with how EIP promos are now, were paying off the device early voids the promo.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Promotion eligibility can be nuanced to put it lightly. Let me clarify the situation since I cannot see the account. 

There may be more on your account, but the minimum that I can glean from your posts is that you, your spouse, your brother, brother’s ex, and now your mother-in-law are on one account. You added MIL’s line and got the $700 off the Google Pixel. MIL is getting a discount on the phone but NOT the line. Now you want to remove the ex’s phone number (which makes complete sense). There are two types of recurring credits; Device and Line. Since this situation is a Device credit, the requirement is that you keep the device payment plan associated to the phone number you added to get the phone and THAT phone number stay active for the length of the payment plan. In this case, you are good to cancel ex-girlfriend’s phone number and not affect MILs promotion. 

IF ex’s phone number has a discount or she got a promotion on her phone, her promotional credit would stop.

Sorry I am a bit late in providing this answer, but I wanted to make sure 100% before I threw an answer out there. Have a wonderful day!