Question

Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)

• 17 August 2022
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Why is it T-mobile does not honor this program, Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)? It is not as if they would be losing money, they stand to lose a customer over this presently, and that would be me.

16 replies

T-Mobile does participate in the ACP….just not under the T-Mobile branding. They are offering ACP plans under both Metro by T-Mobile and Assurance Wireless. The law that changed the Emergency Broadband Benefit  (EBB) to the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is very vague about how long the program will exist or if there will be any requalification or expiration of the benefit for the individual beneficiary at some point. The law requires participating telecom carriers meet well defined standards, but can only say that the Biden Administration hope’s the program will last for at least several years. 

The ACP is a great benefit, I’m using it myself, but it was rolled out without even having the regulatory process in place to establish how the program would be administered. There were already nearly 10 million households using the plan before the carriers were told what the proposed rules were going to be. The government can’t say how long the program will last, but the carriers can’t perform credit checks, they have to give at least 3 months of warnings before terminating service for non payment, even longer if the customer disputes the bill, and the government unexpectedly came out with an interpretation of the benefit to mean that any participating carrier must allow customers to use the benefit on ANY rate plan , including grandfathered plans and customized plans that people had under unique circumstances. So, if a company wants to offer the benefit at all, they have to offer $30 off ANY plan that includes any amount of data and $75 per month off to anyone on tribal lands. 

The carriers can’t upsell or offer a lower tier of service to those using the benefit, they can’t enforce data limits, can’t have termination fees, and must allow customers to change carriers ONE TIME PER MONTH with no delays or fees even if the customer wants to swap between carrier “A” and “B” back and forth each month for several years. Any participating carrier has to allow this. 

I completely understand T-Mobile not including the core brand in the ACP. The terms that the government came up with after the carriers had already committed to participating are INSANE.

See for yourself… https://www.fcc.gov/acp 

On a positive note, I want to spread the word about the ACP provider I used. PcsForPeople is a legit 501((c)3) that accepts used computers from businesses and then prepares them for reuse and offers them for sale at reduced rates for those with a low income. They provide free shipping anywhere in the country and they have a simple website where you can qualify for ACP and use the $100 discount on either a laptop for $49.99 or desktop with monitor, headset, keyboard, mouse and webcam for $11. You just have to buy a mobile hotspot for $45  Yes, the total price for the desktop full system with the hotspot is $56. That includes shipping and a one year warranty. The unlimited 4G internet on the T-Mobile network using Mobile Beacon is completely free. The $30 subsidy covers the monthly fee. You simply spend 30 seconds on the website to “purchase” a free 30 day subscription. 

The offer sounded too good to be true when I found it, but it was perfect for me to use for school. 

Check them out acp.pcsrefurbished.com

Userlevel 2
Badge

So I quality but the plan I have does not. That seems very suspicious It is not as if Tmobile would be out the $30

I qualify as well but T-Mobile only offers through Metro   I don’t understand why they don’t honor it as well as they will receive the extra 30 per month … straight talk goes through Verizon towers and has great plan 55.00 for 25.00 - everything I am currently paying 73.00 for at this moment 

I was told by multiple agents T Mobile participated until 3 months in w bills. I even sent copies of text & info of what I was told by TMobile agents to exc offices - to no avail. All I was told is it’s done through TMobile Metro. Just contact them & u can get it. But NNNNOOOO. U have to have phone service w T Mobile Metro (u get the $30 credit) HOWEVER the internet is $50 w OUT the ACP credit cuz it was used in ur phone bill. So STILL PAYING $50 for internet.  Talk about sweeping under the rug !!!!  So disappointed in TMobile. Have their phone service w others so I can’t change it & up till now happy w their service!!!

Ok. So I am a tmobile customer. Have been for years. 

I have a ACP approval and if I need to move over to Metro fine.

LET'S DO IT. WHAT DO I HAVE TO? So far, look likes lots of hoops to jump through. 

I was able to do my ISP in minutes. Tmobile, not so much.

It’s crazy!!!!!!!! I’ve been with T-Mobile for at least 8 years. T-Mobile participated in the broadband discount but when they changed it to ACP they no longer accept it . If you call T-Mobile customer care you get completely different answers from each person you speak with!!!! First I was told that all I had to do was switch to a metro by T-Mobile Sim card later that day a supervisor called me back and said that I didn’t need to do anything that I was eligible under my T-Mobile plan and to give it some time to show up on my bill. The discount never showed up on my bill so I called again and was told no I would have to switch to metro which means I’d have to cancel  insurance on my phone and and because I’d be using my same phones with metro I would now not be eligible for insurance on my phone even though Metro by T-Mobile is a T-Mobile company that I still would have to change my whole plan and close out my T-Mobile account and open a metro account. So I go to a metro store to make the changes in the worth or in the metro store says no that I can sign up with T-Mobile and he calls for T-Mobile stores which said the same thing I can use the ACP  program  with T-Mobile. It’s crazy

Userlevel 1
Badge

Please file an FCC complaint;

It states on the FCC website that the program protects consumers by:

https://www.fcc.gov/acp

"Preventing consumers from being forced into more expensive or lower quality plans in order to receive the ACP;"

And forcing Magenta and Magenta Max plan holders to switch to Metro is most certainly a lower quality plan, with deprioritized data and speed throttling.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

"Preventing consumers from being forced into more expensive or lower quality plans in order to receive the ACP;"

And forcing Magenta and Magenta Max plan holders to switch to Metro is most certainly a lower quality plan, with deprioritized data and speed throttling.

That's not what its saying tho... its saying that you can't be forced to switch to a different plan FROM THE SAME PROVIDER. 

But having to switch providers in order to use the benefit because you're current one doesn't participate is totally legal

It's just like having a coupon for one retailer and complaining a totally different store wont take jt

Userlevel 1
Badge

That's not what its saying tho... its saying that you can't be forced to switch to a different plan FROM THE SAME PROVIDER. 

But having to switch providers in order to use the benefit because you're current one doesn't participate is totally legal

It's just like having a coupon for one retailer and complaining a totally different store wont take jt

Don't lie to yourself.

When Verizon bought out Tracfone which Safelink (the Lifeline and ACP provider) is a subsidiary of... they tried to force me to switch providers.from T-Mobile to Verizon.   Verizon is vastly lower quality.  I filed an FCC complaint and a Safelink executive contacted me later with his tail between his legs and restored my plan with T-Mobile as the service provider instead of Verizon 

I don't think the FCC is fooled by companies using different names to funnel government funding into programs that don't even attempt to use one penny of the $ to actually provide the service

SMH I'm not lying to myself, I'm literally just trying to explain how you're misunderstanding the quote you keep referencing.

It states  'Preventing consumers from being forced into more expensive or lower quality PLANS in order to receive the ACP;" 

PLANS...not PROVIDERS. The simple fact that there's some providers that work in one state but not in another. Like where I'm from TMobile is garbage while Verizon is top dog. 

And not to be rude,  but it looks like youre trying to portay as being the catalyst that got a federal government agency to step in and stop some secret cell company. Money scheme? Was your basic of the mill commission based sales tactic that a store manager could have addressed. Plus the FCC most definitely had no actual involvement other than forwarding your complaints to jts appropriate mocation in what was essentially a run of the mill refund. 

🤷🏼‍♀️

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry, wasn't trying to aggravate you

Of course I got a government agency to step in, that's what the FCC does whenever anyone files a complaint.

The legitimacy of the complaint (or not) obviously affects whatever results you get.

My advice is to follow the $.  One can play games talking about "providers" and "plans" but ultimately the government funds are going to the same few actual providers.   "Metro by T-Mobile" and "Magenta" are just two different levels of service plans that use the same provider.  In both cases, T-Mobile is receiving government funds via ACP to provide broadband data services.

I'm glad you have better experiences with Verizon than I have.  In my area the Verizon network is so congested that pre paid level plans don't get any data at all. (maybe a little at 3am when most people are asleep)

For well over 10 years they've not spent a single penny to upgrade the bandwidth of the network here.  So when they bought out Tracfone and started forcing people to switch ACP funded plans over to a Verizon pre paid level plan... Verizon is essentially stealing government funds without providing the service the $ was allocated for.   From the reaction I got, apparently the FCC agreed with me.

Sorry JRC, I did not mean to ‘ quote’ you, this is my first time using this forum.  I did file a complaint via the link to FCC you provided, I am sorry you got all the hate. 

I just wanted to tell you: 

Thanks for this info, I really hope everybody here does file a complaint with the link you provided.  It was quick and easy and if enough T Mobile customers file complaints T Mobile will have to rethink it’s decision to turf people to Metro.  KIF, T Mobile customer

Userlevel 1

Why is it T-mobile does not honor this program, Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)? It is not as if they would be losing money, they stand to lose a customer over this presently, and that would be me.

They are required by Federal law to honor it. Keep on them. This of course will not stop their Reps and Managers from lying to you and say they applied when in fact they didn’t. I spent an hour on the phone with someone who said they got a Manager to approve it only to find out on my next bill they never did it. I’m currently arguing with them about it. I’m eligible and switching carriers. 

Userlevel 1

DONE!

I have home internet through T mobile. So basically I can't join the program because I'm not with Metro? It took a long time to even get wifi because I live in a small town with very few providers. Although the wifi rarely gives us issues, sometimes it's hard to pay and then I get slapped with a disconnect charge the very day. I just wish there was another way because my children and I all use the wifi for school and we definitely qualify for the program that T mobile seems to be refusing to be part off.

The best way to use your ACP and Lifeline benefits if you're eligible for both is the first see if you can find all the companies which offer home internet in your area. Some have their own discounted home internet plans $10 to $20 a month without requiring you to apply your ACP or lifeline benefit. If you must apply your ACP or Lifeline benefit to help pay for your home internet there are 20 companies at least across the Nation and the White House posted an article a couple of years ago which you can find online. They offer a good plan for $30 or less and they accept the ACP benefit which means they are totally free. AT&T access plan. Metro and Cox Communications have a connect to complete plan. And the optimum advantage plan. And the spectrum assist plan. And the Comcast Xfinity Internet Essentials basic or plus plan. The last three can be under $20 per month without using ACP or lifeline. The best one if Comcast covers your area is to sign up for Comcast Xfinity Internet Essentials plan the basic plan is only $10 a month out of pocket. It's enough for two or three people at least. and you have access to free public Wi-Fi hotspots and you can buy a Dell 3110 Chromebook or 3140 Latitude laptop from Dell for only $150 worth twice as much if you are an Internet Essentials customer type Internet Essentials low cost computer into Google search.

But if you use your ACP benefit you will have only your Lifeline benefit to use for a free phone plan and if you use Lifeline by itself most zip codes have at least a couple or three companies which will show up if you search on the USAC site the affordable connectivity program providers near me search. But even if only a couple show up as long as they cover some part of your state you should be able to sign up with them. And any state has at least a few or several companies which will give you a limited monthly plan for free which includes unlimited texting with 4.5 GB of mobile data and $350 up to unlimited minutes of talk free each month. Not many companies give a free phone for Lifeline only plans but Assurance Wireless and Tara com Wireless and SafeLink Wireless and American assistance known also as a m b t or your call Wireless may give a free phone for Lifeline only plans.

If you combine both your ACP and Lifeline benefit together many companies will give you unlimited talk and unlimited texting with unlimited slow data but there are only certain ones which will give you 15 GB of high speed data or more per month for free for ACP plus lifeline. Life Wireless will. M a x s i p Telecom may. Sano connect. Excess telecom. And air talk wireless. I believe Access Wireless which is a branch of Kroger Wireless used to get 15 GB but they now give only 12 gb.

If you are married or if you have minor children then you can count as only one household unfortunately and you can receive only one ACP benefit and only one Lifeline benefit for a total of two benefits. There was confusion when they were telling people only one benefit per household. But even if you are immediate family members if you live together as long as you can claim you don't sure expenses as long as you're over 18 or emancipated or a foster child each of you can receive one ACP benefit and also one Lifeline benefit even a father and son or brother and sister and so on.

But mothers with children are married couples should split their ACP in Lifeline benefits up separately. If you use your ACP benefit by itself many companies will give you unlimited talk and text with unlimited slow data. But only certain several or maybe 10 or more will give you 10 gigabytes of high-speed data or more per month for free for ACP only. I believe SafeLink Wireless and Assurance Wireless used to give 10 GB for ACP only but they may now get more than that. They also give free phones whether you use ACP or Lifeline by itself or combine both benefits. General mobile gives only 7 GB of fast data per month for ACP only with unlimited talk text and slow data and a free phone. If you use your ACP benefit by itself with red pocket mobile or Excess Telecom or tone Communications these companies will give you 15 or 20 GB of high-speed data per month for free for ACP only with unlimited talk and text. Red pocket gives unlimited slow data. Not sure about the other two. If tone Communications doesn't cover your area it has two sister companies called City Communications and c a t h e c t Communications which may or may not give the same data plan.

And then you could use your Lifeline benefit by itself to get a second free monthly plan which is limited with 4 and 1/2 GB of mobile data plus unlimited texting plus 350 up to unlimited minutes free each month with many different companies. But if you want a free phone if you're using your Lifeline benefit by itself try Assurance Wireless or Tara come Wireless or SafeLink Wireless or American assistance.

PCS REFURBISHED AND 3R TECHNOLOGY AND CONNECTALL AKA INTERCONNECTION offer refurbished laptops in good condition sometimes as low as $100 or even $50 sometimes worth twice as much. HUMAN-I-T also gives technology access discounts but not quite as much. A company called Chromebooks R Us sales refurbished Chromebooks as low as $40 and you don't need to be low income eligible.

But before you use your ACP benefit to pay for your home internet which you should be able to find at least one or two companies in most areas which will give you a good home internet plan totally free for your ACP benefit if you must do that or if you're going to use it combine with your Lifeline benefit for one free phone plan with over 20 gigabytes of high speed data or if you're going to split it up and get two different free phone plans using ACP by yourself to get 10 to 20 GB of high speed data and use Lifeline by itself for a free limited plan…

First use your ACP benefit to get a discounted tablet. Most companies don't give much high-speed data for free if they offer a tablet and the ACP benefit so you can transfer your benefit every 31 days. Don't get a tablet from qlink Wireless or true Connect wireless. Please have the best tablets for $10 to $15.…

SARVER WIRELESS AND KANSAS WIRELESS AND UNITY WIRELESS AND AIRTALK WIRELESS AND ROGUE MOBILE AND STAND UP WIRELESS ALSO KNOWN AS GLOBAL CONNECTION.