Solved

Are Galaxy watches carrier-locked?

• 6 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi! I want to give my Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 to a friend on another network.  When I logged in to my profile, TMobile says the watch is locked and to call support to get it unlocked.

I paid off the watch a month ago.

I called T-Mobile’s phone support;’ phone support staff told me the watches are not locked. 

I think the support person was right, but I want to be sure. Using TMobile’s imei checker, it says they cannot determine the status, probably because the watch is already connected.

Is it true that watches are no longer locked carrier-locked after they are paid off? Why would the TMobile app still say it’s locked?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 6 February 2023, 20:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The SIM Unlock Policy says devices should be automatically unlocked once all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements are met.  Smart watches can be carrier locked.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Watches are a little different than phone. @HeavenM recently addressed this in another post.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the info.  I’ll go by the call rep as my phone should be unlocked. The app I’ve tried to avoid, but looked it up just to check anyway and got confused as to why it would say “locked, call support”. 

Per website info, my watch would qualify. 

• The device must have been active on the T‑Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.
  • If the device was financed or leased through T‑Mobile then all payments must be satisfied and the device must be paid in full.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey friends. There are watches that can be carrier locked and I honestly don’t know how or who decides what can be carrier locked or why. I was researching things a bit and found that Samsung Galaxy watches are not carrier locked since their first generation. Giving the Galaxy Watch 5 to your friend is a very generous thing and I am glad that you don’t have to worry about a carrier lock getting in the way. 

As to why your online account says that the device is currently locked.. My only guess is that it is reading that the devices is currently activated to the T-Mobile network and assumes that means it is locked. That feature on the T-Mobile website is mainly designed for phones and can be a bit finicky when it comes to readings for other devices. I know that makes things confusing and I am going to send through some feedback so we can look at ways to improve that experience. 

Hope this helps. :D

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you much, @HeavenM !  Thank you all, actually :) but HeavenM’s answer seems definitive.