Assurant Damaged Device Returned - Not Recived

Show first post

32 replies

I filed a claim for a cracked screen in Feb. 2021. The claim was approved and I was sent a new (most likely refurbished phone). This, after I paid a $99 deductible, not to mention hundreds of dollars in insurance premiums, over the years.

A week after I shipped my old phone back to Assurant via USPS, in the Assurant prepaid envelope that they had sent me, I checked the tracking number on the USPS site. The package had been delivered. I thought no more about the matter.

About a week later I received a letter from Assurant, saying that they had not received my package. I called them, and gave them the tracking number and delivery date. The rep thanked me and said that he would take care of the situation.

This was back in Feb. Heard not a thing more about it, until now. On my May bill from T Mobile, I have a charge of $510 from Assurant for the old phone that I sent back to them in Feb.

I called T Mobile immediately, asking what the charge was for. The T Mobile rep said that he would transfer me to somebody who could help. He transferred me to Assurant!

I was then told, by the Assurant rep that they had found the package, but that there was no phone inside. So, the EXACT same story that I am reading all over the internet, as well as on this site, concerning this company.

Assurant says that they have opened a new investigation, and it should be complete in 3 days. What this means, I have no idea, but guess I will find out. Outrageously, they want me to call them back after 3 days, to find out the results of the investigation.

I have contacted a lawyer, who after seeing all of the EXACT same complaints from, literally, hundreds of people on the internet, is considering a class action law suit.

I have also contacted my representatives in the U.S. Senate, in the U.S. House of Representatives, my State Legislators, and have filed complaints with my state’s consumer protection bureau, as well as the Better Business Bureau.

Was there Resolution to this?  Unfortunately, having the same issue for past 3 months and haven't been able to resolve it. 

I’m going through this right now.  Any update on what the lawyer said?

Same issue, they are liars and thieves. I will be contacting my representatives and all other avenues to have them investigated as well as the BBB. Stole nearly $1000 from me. And I have all documentation and photographs as well as witness to verify. I hope others pursue this the same way. Unethical business practices are becoming common practice in the U.S. and we need to stop allowing it. Strength in numbers. So follow through. Even if they eventually fold and correct the issue for you it shouldn't deter you from contacting reps and atty general to file a complaint. Attempted robbery is still a crime. And it may help the next person not get robbed.

Complaining to the BBB is the way to go. There’s a whole resolutions department that fields Better Business Bureau complaints.  This is not uncommon -- though whoever is in charge of warehouse operations does not seem to have this issue on their radar/care about it as its been going on for years.

I complained to the BBB and the matter was resolved within days.

From now on, always get some sort of receipt with the weight of your package if needing to send a device back.

Same thing is happening to me. I returned a device December 15th. They are saying they haven't received it and can't find tracking info on it. Told me to talk to usps. Usps can't do anything without a tracking number. I gave them the tracking number assurant gave me and they can't find anything. This is so frustrating I refuse to pay for a phone I returned and someone else lost. 

Going through the same issues as you all now.

Received a replacement phone for a cracked screen, put the old one back in the box with their label and handed the package to the usps driver.

Assurant saying its never scanned. I have the USPS “Earl” driver on camera stating he scanned it. Video link posted below. Also have the Jupiter Post Office manager stating that it was scanned.

Filed a complaint with the better business bureau. I wont pay their out of principle. I didn’t pay for their postage, they can file their own shipping claim. Even the USPS driver states in the video they could be scamming.

Further more, these people have us send these high dollar phones back in non discrete packaging. no wonder there are issues like previously reported.

T-mobile needs to get involved here. They’re going to be hemorrhaging customers based off association.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rLDKtpFcVYjPoV5V7ef_WDAcvEByzWoi/view?usp=sharing

Same here. Didn’t have this issue before, but I just noticed they tacked on some insane amount to my January bill, claiming “Assurant: DamagedDevNotRecvd” which is not my fault, for sure (it’s been shipped probably a MONTH OR MORE AGO)…

So you guys are saying if I file a BBB claim it should work? Or should I just go straight to Small Claims Court and force them to send their shitb@g attorney to explain how it isn’t a massive fraud they are running here, just based on this topic?