Question

Bait and Switch pricing

• 5 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I didn’t realize this was happening to so many other folks as well! Changed from Sprint to T-Mobile which was a pain and took the better part of a day, just because the customer service representatives at my local T-Mobile store said I would be able to get 4 lines for 140 dollars (this was a few months ago, with the 4th line free promo). Turns out, according to online customer service, that I don’t qualify since I am a ‘legacy’ customer. 2 different in person reps assured me I would get the rate, only to now spend hours one the phone with representatives who simply repeat past conversations. In addition, I lost my corporate discount from the past Sprint line, which T-Mobile will not honor since they are a ‘different company.’ 

Such a bait and switch tactic! It seems like a lot of other folks are ending up in the same situation. I guess I’ll have to check into AT&T, at this point. 

8 replies

And the same thing happened to me.  On Sunday, November 14, 2021 i saw the $35 offer for Magenta 55+ for two lines but nowhere on the website did it mention what the price is for a single line.  Once I was in the store I found out that it would be $45 per month with taxes and fees included for a single line.  OK...I get that that the total deal for two lines is $70...$35 each.  But it ought to clearly state that and what the price is for a single line.    

I just received my first bill and was it for $45?  NO, it is $55!  I called customer service and Scott, the nice guy on the line started launching into why i might have “misunderstood” what the deal is and tried to explain it to me.   I tuned him out because I know BS when i hear it.  So I guess I am supposed to be ok with this, by the way, because I signed up for auto pay and get a $5 discount.  Most busy people would just let it go because now we are ONLY TALKING ABOUT A $5 DIFFERENCE PER MONTH since I thought it would be $45, but it is the principal of the thing that galls me.  With the discount I now ought to be paying $40 per month.

Also, I told him that I wanted to send an email with my specific complaint to customer service, but nowhere on the website is there an email address.  HE COULDN’T EVEN FIND IT!   I don’t know how the employees can be ok with working for a company like this.  The store manager is off today but will be in tomorrow.  He will be getting a visit from me.  If I don’t get some sort of restitution for this, I will be on the hunt for a new mobile service. 

I am about to retire and will have more time to spend complaining to and about these companies about their bait and switch tactics.  This is a time when social media will come in handy, too.  Hell hath no fury as a customer scorned. 

The store manager is off today but will be in tomorrow.  He will be getting a visit from me.  If I don’t get some sort of restitution for this, I will be on the hunt for a new mobile service. 

Did you get any resolution for this?  Was the store manager able to resolve it for you?

I just became a T-Mobile customer and the store employee promised me a $400 credit to trade in my old phone, but only $100 was applied.  When I called customer service (I’m on hold right now after having already called three times, and being hung up on an hour ago when I asked to speak to a supervisor) I was told that the promotion was only $100, and there was nothing they could do to change it now since the $100 promotion has been applied.  WTF?  Because they applied the wrong amount they can’t now apply what they promised me?  I would not have bought the phone I purchased without that $400 credit, and I’m within my 14 days of purchase and will be going to the store to return it tomorrow.

My trip down the nightmarish rabbit hole started in November 2021 to migrate from Sprint account to Tmobile account. Also, bought three new devices with trade ins on all. Trade in were 600 for Pixel on us, 400 for iPhone se and 800 for iPhone 11.

1. Migrated me to Magenta Military instead of Magenta Max. Service chat #1  to fix.

2. Pixel on us promo applied correctly, two iPhone promos only works 200 each, instead of 400 and 800. Went to store to address and got nowhere. Service chat #2 to address. Said it would take 3-5 days to show up after being "fixed".

3. Iphone promos not corrected AND pixel promo canceled after 1 month amd downgraded to 200 promo. Said wrong trade in device was sent. Checked Imei and realized it matched. Service chat #3 to address 25 manual credit applied and issues with promos will be "fixed".

4. Promos still not fixed. Service chat #4. Went through everything again. "Don't worry we'll fix it". 50 manual credit applied and will be applied in future. Chat person has "tools issue" reassured by "supervisor" that I'll be taken care of. 

5. New bill posts, promos not fixed. On to service chat #5. Agree with me that all IMEIs and promo amounts that I am expecting are correct amd it will be fixed. Manual credit. Chat rep has a "tools issue". Reassured by supervisor that I'll be taken care of. Pattern emerging…

6. Protection plans added to both iphones without my permission. I have canceled both and they are off my account, but charges not removed. On to chat #6.

T-Mobile is without a doubt the most screwed up disorganized company I have worked with in my 55 years on planet earth. The ONLY thing they have going for them is that they are cheaper than Verizon amd ATT. Amd I will never buy another device with trade in from them. Two of three purchases were only because of the promotion, our current phones were fine. 

OMG I can’t believe this.  We had the same problem when we were sort of forced into switching from Sprint to Tmobile.  They promised us we would not be paying 1 dime more for our plan and they told us if we upgraded (our working phones) we would get this $800 credit for each phone making the phone free.  That was a complete lie, we have spent so many hours talking to different people and no body will help us.   Now my family is stuck with TMobile until we pay off these phones that were supposed to be completely free.    I can’t wait for the class action law suit - it needs to happen.  They are stealing from people 

Just started with t-mobile , I was told by customer service that my  iPhone 12 had an $800. Trade in value for the new iPhone 14, Just found out they will only give me $275. As a trade in value credit,  I did not expect to be lied to , very disappointed in their sales practices September 25,2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Just started with t-mobile , I was told by customer service that my  iPhone 12 had an $800. Trade in value for the new iPhone 14, Just found out they will only give me $275. As a trade in value credit,  I did not expect to be lied to , very disappointed in their sales practices September 25,2022.

The difference will be applied as bill credits paid out over 24 months.

We switched from Verizon about 6mo ago and have got nothing we were promised. We switched during the promo where they said they would pay off the devices when you switched. Worked for 3 days with an agent getting everything switched over. When I sent in my final Verizon bill i was told that the promotion had ended the day before our contract was finalized and that there was nothing they could do because it was system generated. Mind you this was the absolute ONLY reason we were switching in the first place and the agent I worked with assured me multiple times entering would go through fine. 

Now we are trying to upgrade. First 6mo it explicitly stated that a down-payment was due to upgrade. Last week it started showing $0 down to upgrade. Exciting right? We go throught the whole process to upgrade, every single page states the $0 down, subtotal page order page, all of it. You get to final check out when it wants you to input credit card info and I notice a payment is now required. It wants us to put more of a down payment now than ever before. 

TMobile likes to false advertise their phone upgrade programs and runs a bait and switch tactic where it states you can upgrade with a $0 down-payment, yet once you are about to complete your purchase "the system" places a large required down-payment before checking out. This is bad business and makes me want to cancel tmobile and switch back to Verizon. 

Sounds to me like they are doing the same thing to all of us and we called customer service like 7 times and each time they agreed that was wrong and would fix our bill then nothing ever happened and we would call back and they would tell us to read the contract we signed.  Of course you signed it on their small devise and didn’t really understand what you were signing.   We had faith the person was telling us the truth about the $800 per devise credit.  Now we are stuck with phones we didn’t really need and only way to get out is to pay off all the phones (our old phones were all free and clear).   We should all go to a lawyer.  Sounds like a lawsuit to me