Best Buy Upgrade

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've been wanting to upgrade for the last couple of months but haven't seen a deal I wanted until I saw my local Best Buy offering the phone for $150 off.

So I went there but the sign has the original price so I asked an associate if they honored their website pricing.

He went over to his work station and pulled up the website and said they do and they have them in stock.

The associate asked if I want to finance or pay full price. I told him I'll finance it to start.

What I was surprised was that he told me the phone will be sim locked since I financed it. I'm glad this associate is telling customers this.

Best thing I was out within 20 minutes and I went to my Mytmobile account and all the paper work matched and there was no $30 upgrade fee.

2 replies

Hey there! I am in the market for either an upgrade, or device buy out and following trade in, am trying to deter the best and most financially viable avenue to take to do this.

Just to reiterate, are you saying that you did go through with the upgrade through best buy? Meaning, you traded incan existing paid off device for a trade in credit, to them activate it with your t mobile line? While ALSO not being charged one of t mos famed $30 dollar upgrade activation fee? 

Because from what I have been gathering this go along with my consensus that it really is just more reasonable to pay off my existing decide EIP with t mobile, unlock the phone, and more than likely trade said device in for credit towards a new device through a 3rd party vendor such as Google itself, or Best buy, Costco, etc.

Or, was this still technically a t mobile brand upgrade with financing through t mobile , not best buy?

Or do y'all believe I should utilize my jump upgrade capability? (I find it hard to believe this is the best option for the consumer. Yes I like newer phones, but feel after upgrading to pixel I won't NEED the newest device for a while ... Planning to pay off EIP (unless my other free on us line can Garner a decent discount with activation and just swap sims), unlock device and take to third party, probably to also ditch p360 using Google protection or best buy protection program instead.

At that point all I will use t mobile for is the service, but won't be tied to them for EIP or insurance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

No, I didn't trade in a device because the offer didn't require a trade in. Best Buy can use Tmobile's EIP if you want.