Question

Can't receive incoming calls after porting from AT&T to T-Mobile

• 18 August 2022
  • 3 replies

I recently ported an AT&T cell phone number to Sprint T-Mobile.  However, the phone cannot receive incoming calls. It is an iPhone XR.  When calling the number, the message states that the phone number is not in service.  But it is in service because we can make outgoing calls.  In addition, all other features work - we can receive and send texts, FaceTime works for both incoming and outgoing.   We have been to the T-Mobile store and they were on the phone with the help line with no resolution. Supposedly, the help line individual talking to the representative at the T-Mobile store opened a ticket and was supposed to get back to me within 72 hours - well that did not happen - the 72 hours has come and gone. In addition, we have called the help line three times.  No one can figure out the problem to be able to fix it.  Every time we call the help line, the troubleshooting process starts from square one -- so irritating.    All of the phone’s settings are set to allow incoming calls, i.e. DND for voice is turned off.    Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.  This was a very expensive phone and worked perfectly before switching.  We switched to T-Mobile to save money on the unlimited plan.  One more question for the community: the T-Mobile help person said they set up an e-sim at the time the phone number was ported, but it never activated.  I’m wondering, if the e-sim had activated, rather than us going to a physical SIM card, would we not have had this problem?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Some ports are more difficult than others. When you call out, what number is displayed? Do you get texts?

Thank you for your reply.  When we call out, the number of the phone is displayed.  Yes, we get texts.  It is only incoming calls that are a problem.  But incoming works for FaceTime. Do you have any other thoughts on what could be causing the problem?  Is it possible the number wasn’t transferred/ported correctly by either AT&T or T-Mobile?  T-Mobile used an e-sim which never activated.  They said it would happen automatically but it didn’t (we went to the T-Mobile store the next day and had a physical SIM card installed).  Should we have gone on to my Sprint account and activated the e-sim?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

facetime uses data though..not the actual voice side of things. so if you have zero data connection or voice connection but were connected to wifi you’ll be able to receive the facetime call.