Question

Certified TMobile customer service forwarded me to a scam call center (twice)

Badge

I originally was a tmobile customer 6 years ago but switched back and I have unsuccessfully recovered my account which had my current email and current cell number attached to it. I switched to google fi but maintained my info the entire time. 

When calling customer service they identified i needed to talk to the next tier support to help recover it but both times I called in and was transferred I got a call center who tried to ask me for my password and my codes I was being sent to authenticate my login. This even happened on the iPhone where the business looked legitimate in the messages app with the pink banner and all. 

I ended up creating a new account under another email but this was very alarming to say the least. 

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

What phone number did you dial and where did you get the number from?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Also after 6 years the account can't be recovered especially if it was a grandfathered plan.

Badge

One way I connected was via 611, I talked to a representative and then transferred. 

The second time I was on the mobile website and selected ‘chat’ with support and it used Messages on the iPhone. I chatted with a representative and then they transferred me the same way. 

While, I don’t care if I got my original logins to my old account back or not - the fact it was so easy to get transferred to scammers who asked for my password is crazy. I almost compromised my whole new account with no way to get back in because I everything was through the proper channels. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

are you assuming they were scammers because of their accent or how exactly?

no matter how you contact TMO theyre going to ask you to identify yourself with your account info..if you do it through their social media platform they’ll ask the same thing and have you log in so they can confirm that you are in fact you.

Badge

No nothing to do with their accent. What tipped me off that something was up, was the following:

1. I was transferred to a noisy call center type of office where I heard lots of people talking in the background (lots of other people seemingly on the phone at the same time)
    1. this was actually fine but then the next couple things happened
  2. They asked me to confirm my information (email, phone number, name) but then asked what password I had for my account
    1. I know they should never ask for my password but in my case I told them I couldn’t get in to my account or recover my password anyways -- so how would I know what my password was
  3. They tried resetting my password which sent a code to my email, they asked for the code
  4. Once the code was confirmed via email, it sent a code to my phone for another level of security - they also asked for this code. 

I sensed something was off so I hung up and made sure I called the correct support line the second time, but after talking to someone legit at first, I ended up being transferred again to this same place where they were asking for my passwords and codes. So I gave up. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

If you call TMO support and you confirm your identity, there is no scenario where TMO willfully transfers you to a scam center. Plain and simple.

Perhaps you are mistaking the TMO support asking you for your TMO passphrase or pin which is standard procedure. Nobody at TMO will ask you for your login password. They can reset for you and that’s all.

Badge

My original post explains: I used to be a tmobile customer but years later I decided to come back. So I have an active number and account - however the point of calling in to customer service was because I could not login to my online account to check my bill or access any of those tools. Which was what I needed their help with. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Yes, I re-read. Please see my edit reply above. I think you are mixing up TMO passphrase or pin with login password. TMO will ask you every time you call for your TMO pin to confirm your identity.

Badge

Yep, they asked to confirm my PIN code associated with my account. But, youre right they shouldnt be asking for my password nor try to reset my password and ask for the code sent to my email/phone for verification - even the auto generated emails sent by tmobile clearly states in the message that tmobile support will never ask for those. 

I am not sure how I got transferred to the scam group - but it happened.  I don’t know how to report them or raise awareness of what happened. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yep, they asked to confirm my PIN code associated with my account. But, youre right they shouldnt be asking for my password nor try to reset my password and ask for the code sent to my email/phone for verification - even the auto generated emails sent by tmobile clearly states in the message that tmobile support will never ask for those. 

I am not sure how I got transferred to the scam group - but it happened.  I don’t know how to report them or raise awareness of what happened. 

You are 100% correct that our experts should never be asking for the for the password or try to reset the password for you. There are some occasions where a one-time PIN may be sent to your text message that the expert will need to be verified, but not for password concerns. I am extremely curious who they would have transferred you to that would ask for that. I don’t have access to the account to review further, but I can send through your feedback, so we can nip this in the bud. Can you send me a DM so we can discuss it further?

I clicked on a link from my TMobile app for a support number and it gave me a number to call. I was trying to activate a new sim card after mine broke when my son dropped my phone. They wanted me to "verify" with my cards number, expiration date, and ccv number. 😑 Never in my life have I ran into that. Did not ask my account pin, passwords, nothing. Only asked foe information like the billing address for my card on file and all of the information on my card. When I asked why they needed all of that when I have verified with the last 5 of my SSN for phone companies before he said "No don't give anyone that. I just need it to verify" I kept asking why having all the information needed to make a purchase with my card was necessary. All he would say was "To verify" He couldn't even specifically tell me and he claimed it was the only way to verify it.