Do NOT download Scam Shield on your Phone: it's a T-Mobile scam!

• 4 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Like many of you, I got communication from T-Mobile that recommended downloading the new featutre Scam Shield to supposedly filter scams. As an idiot, I downloaded that app on my phone, and set up the preferences to the strictest scam filters.

And now, I’m getting way more scam/marketing calls than I’ve ever had!

T-Mobile are the same scumbags as other telcos. Do. Not. Trust. T-Mobile.

I’ve now deleted that nefarious “scam shield” app from  y phone, and am considering reporting this to the CA AG.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I’m not a fan of scam shield but I don’t think it’s a scam, I don’t like that you can have incoming caller id but to really unlock that feature you need to pay a monthly fee.

I’m actually getting the same if not less spam calls since it was installed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I’m not a fan of scam shield but I don’t think it’s a scam, I don’t like that you can have incoming caller id but to really unlock that feature you need to pay a monthly fee.

same..didnt notice any jumps in spam calls..i did get a recorded call from one of our congressmen and it flagged it as possible spam..which hey...it was correct lol.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

same..didnt notice any jumps in spam calls..i did get a recorded call from one of our congressmen and it flagged it as possible spam..which hey...it was correct lol.

I’m using the spam app too. I have’t been getting spam calls since and I got a TON of them before I installed it. That’s just been my experience though.

I’ve gotta chime in here:  I just ported over from Verizon last night.  Today is my first “full day” of TMO service.  When I saw the ScamShield app I thought:  “Oh, neat!  I HATE robocalls!”.

When I was with Verizon, I would probably get 1-2 robocalls/scams per day.  In the last 3 hours, since I’ve “Activated” ScamShield, I’ve received 15 robocalls - all scams claiming to be from Apple support - all coming from Manteca, CA - all with a (209) 858- prefix.

As I type this, another one just came in.  Exactly the same.

FYI - None of these have showed up as “potential scam”, and I’ve reported every single one of them through the “ScamShield” app, although I’m stopping that now.  It is a MAJOR hassle when you have more than one number to report - too many button presses dedicated to something you despise.