Question

Email to text not working via gmail.

• 6 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Have a PLC that sends alerts/alarms out via email. There are 10 people on the group message, 8 of whom are on other carriers - all received the email/text, but not to tmomail.net. Only two of us are on Tmobile and we are the only two who didn’t receive the alert:

There was a temporary problem delivering your message to **********@tmomail.net. Gmail will retry for 25 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.
The response from the remote server was:

452 4.1.0 <**********@gmail.com> server temporarily unavailable AUP#MXRT

5 replies

Badge

So we just got the two texts today  - 72 hours later - which is exactly what you want when sending out emergency alerts….

Any idea what’s going on?

Badge

I’ve searched TMO’s community and there are Dozens of people that cannot send an a gmail
to <phone #>@tmomail.net

This has affected me ON/OFF for all of 2023 so far and it sucks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there. The email to text service can be pretty convenient for many situations. It is not designed for any automated messages at all, though. Our Consumer versus Non-Consumer Text Messaging T-Mobile Support page has a little more detail on that. 

The e-mail to text gateway is a legacy system that may eventually be decommissioned in the future. It is designed for low volume consumer traffic only and cannot handle a significant volume of messages. For that reason, all non-consumer messaging is prohibited on the e-mail to text gateway, and even high volume consumer messaging may be blocked as it can impact the system's ability to handle messages for all customers. If you need to send non-consumer or high-volume consumer messaging, work with an aggregator as their connections can handle these message volumes.

T-Mobile has made some recent updates to many spam filters to continue protecting our customers from unwanted messages which included more effective filters on the email to text gateway. If your PLC is sending out emails, then you should be sending those emails to an actual email address instead of the email to text method. If it is possible to update your PLC to send out SMS through a short code or 10DLC number, then those should be delivered to the phones with no problem. 

Badge

@HeavenM 

If you decommission email to text I certainly hope TMO implements a replacement that is more “robust” !

Just dropping the service all together would not be a good move for Customers.

@HeavenM 

T-Mobiles stance on this is ridiculously outdated. Consumer versus Non-Consumer text, is ignoring that fact that many consumers like with tech meaning devices, vehicles and homes, security systems that want to communicate with its owner who is a consumer! If I have 4 cameras on my home, 10 sensors, 3 appliances, 2 vehicles, 2 pet tags, 4 children you are tracking and T-Mobiles response is to say your a Non-Consumer? It is time to update the model it is 2024!