Question

eSIM international roaming can't get any network signal while physical SIM does.

• 24 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi,

I have Magenta MAX plan.

• iPhone 12 Pro and 14 Pro MAX phones with eSIM lines do not get any network signal in Japan nor Vietnam.
  • iPhone XR with physical SIM do get network signal on both Japan and Vietnam.

Put the physical SIM into iPhone 12 Pro and 14 Pro MAX and both phones get network signal.

So, is there something I need to do to get the eSIM lines to work internationally ?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If an international roaming partner does not support eSIM, your devices using eSIM's will not be able to roam in those countries.

Badge

I would be totally surprised if Japan doesn’t support eSIM. I am heading to Australia next and hoping they support eSIM then.

If this is the case, eSIM really sucks for international travelers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

eSIM is still relatively new to most carriers around the world.  There isn't even a global standard for eSIM's to ensure compatibility when roaming.  China and its territories have completely banned eSIM's.  With iPhone 14's being ESIM only for US models.  That definitely will suck for those with iPhone 14's that like to travel internationally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I would first want to make sure that the eSIM line is not somehow blocked for international roaming.

Badge

Yep, I thoroughly checked all my lines and made sure they have the same settings… specifically international roaming is not blocked.

Badge

Updates!

T-mobile eSIM doesn’t work in Sydney, Brisbane nor Cairns (Australia) :-(((

T-mobile physical SIM works for all places above I visited.

I am beginning to feel like I will have to change back to physical SIM after my next phone upgrade.