Question

eSim on another device

• 11 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello,

This is what I’ve been doing for about a year.

I have a cell from from work on another carrier. It says, “No SIM restrictions” under Carrier Lock in the About menu.

I have a cell phone on TMobile. It is under contract, about 6 months left, we are making payments on it. So, the phone says “SIM Locked” under “Carrier Lock”.

Both are iPhone 13 Mini. For a long time, I didn’t mind having 2 phones and now it got suddenly annoying. So, I am seriously considering using the work phone to run dual sims for both lines. So, I would get an esim from TMobile and activate it on the other iPhone.

But, one of my concerns is…. will tmobile flag it and charge me for the phone? I don’t plan on getting rid of the TMobile provided phone. I like the tmobile service and I want to keep both numbers. I just don’t want to carry two phones anymore.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you looked into Digits?

https://www.t-mobile.com/apps/t-mobile-digits

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Having the dual and eSIM capability is a fantastic option and meant for exactly what you are trying to do. 

You can absolutely have an eSIM profile created for your T-Mobile phone number and activate that on the unlocked iPhone 13 mini that you have. T-Mobile will continue to charge you for the iPhone you have on financing through the remaining 6 months, but you will not get charged for using your number on an unlocked device. The only thing that may change is the insurance on your phone if you have it. We have a Bring-your-own-device level insurance that would be compatible with your unlocked phone. 

Here is a great Support resources about our device protection and BYOD coverage. Protection <360>® and device protection | T-Mobile Support