Question

Extra EIP payment just reduced monthly auto pay?

Badge

My daughter just added a new phone to our plan, but wants to pay it off early.  She pays just a little extra each month.  I am set up with auto pay; however, went online before the deduction date and made her small payment as an actual extra EIP payment.  All that did was reduce the actual auto payment.  

Any advise would be helpful.  I’ve been a Tmo customer for over 20 years and their customer service when you call in has really gone downhill.  :(

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if that was the final payment on the device..wouldnt the next bill be less seeing as how you no longer have said payment included? how much less was it?

Badge

She JUST got a new phone, so it was actually the first payment; however, making an “Extra EIP Payment” only reduced the automatic payment withdrawal on the total monthly bill..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

interesting. not to sure on this one then. was extra just paid or was extra put directly onto the phone payment itself?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I had no problem paying off my last phone and tracker.

I just had to go to the EIP and it gave me options to make an additional payment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

She JUST got a new phone, so it was actually the first payment; however, making an “Extra EIP Payment” only reduced the automatic payment withdrawal on the total monthly bill..

Some of the new EIP terms don't allow for paying off a device early unless you forfeit any of the potential credits and promotions given towards the new device.  You can reach out to Customer Care at 611 or DM T-Mobile on Facebook or Twitter to find out more about the terms of the EIP for your daughter's new device.  

Badge

Interesting.  I have no current promotions or credits being applied to my plan.  All she wants to do is pay a little extra each month but have it go toward the cost of her phone ONLY not toward the total monthly account overall.  :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Kudos to your daughter for being responsible and paying extra each month to get that phone paid off early. Two things to know when you make the extra payments.

1. When you or she makes the payment to the equipment balance, it should not have affected your bill balance or autopay amount.
  2. The extra payments don’t lower the monthly amount due to the phone but reduces the number of monthly payments. For example, it would make a payment of $30 for 24 months down to $30 for 19 months or whatever the math is based on the extra amount that she pays.

Here are the exact steps for paying the phone balance online

1. Log in to My T-Mobile.
  2. Go to Bill & pay.
  3. Under the Make a payment option, select More payment options
  4. Select View device payment plans.
  5. Select the device /line that you want to make a payment for.
  6. Select Make a payment and follow the instructions to make an EIP payment.

Are these the steps that she followed when she made the extra payment or did she pay it another way?

Badge

I do understand what you were saying and I was thinking that was exactly what should have happened but it is not. I am the one that made the payment for her following the steps you outlined above.  I made an extra EIP payment. All that did was reduce my monthly auto withdrawal by the extra  payment amount.

To make the math simple _ with her phone added,  the monthly bill will now be  $120.  We made an extra EIP payment of $10.  My auto withdrawal payment was 110 not the 120 it should have been.

Thoughts?  Her second payment is coming soon and she would still like to continue paying extra but we're not sure what to do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It is really strange if you used those steps and it still reduced the month’s bill amount. Did you notice if the equipment balance went down by the extra $10? The equipment balance can be a little tricky to read on the website, so if you want a second set of eyes on it, I would send a direct message on our Facebook or Twitter so a T-Force rep can take a look at the account. They would be able to see the account details needed to figure out how the payment exactly applied to the account and give a better suggestion. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It is really strange if you used those steps and it still reduced the month’s bill amount. Did you notice if the equipment balance went down by the extra $10? The equipment balance can be a little tricky to read on the website, so if you want a second set of eyes on it, I would send a direct message on our Facebook or Twitter so a T-Force rep can take a look at the account. They would be able to see the account details needed to figure out how the payment exactly applied to the account and give a better suggestion. 

Some newer EIP's no not allow you the option to pay off your device early or reduce the monthly payments by paying off a portion of the device balance.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Some newer EIP's no not allow you the option to pay off your device early or reduce the monthly payments by paying off a portion of the device balance.  

Making a payment to the EIP never reduces the monthly payment. We do have two device payment plan types; EIP and JOD. JOD (JUMP! on Demand) is a lease program and does not allow extra payments. If the phone is on EIP (Equipment Installment Plan i.e. 24 monthly payments), then extra payments are allowed at any time. 

@syaoran I am curious if you have had any issues with making extra payments or why you are suggesting that newer EIPs are not allowing those extra payments. If the payment was not allowed, then NicoleKSU would not have seen the option to select that device in the payment screen. Since those were the steps that were used to pay, I think it is more likely that there was a hiccup during the payment process and our care reps should be able to see where the payment went and go from there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Making a payment to the EIP never reduces the monthly payment. We do have two device payment plan types; EIP and JOD. JOD (JUMP! on Demand) is a lease program and does not allow extra payments. If the phone is on EIP (Equipment Installment Plan i.e. 24 monthly payments), then extra payments are allowed at any time. 

@syaoran I am curious if you have had any issues with making extra payments or why you are suggesting that newer EIPs are not allowing those extra payments. If the payment was not allowed, then NicoleKSU would not have seen the option to select that device in the payment screen. Since those were the steps that were used to pay, I think it is more likely that there was a hiccup during the payment process and our care reps should be able to see where the payment went and go from there. 

The EIP for my s23 Ultra does not allow payments on the device outside of what I paid up front.  I did pay an extra $200 up front knowing that to reduce the EIP over 24 months, brining it down to $15 a month for 24 months.  The only way I would be able to pay it off early, would be to contact Customer Care and forfeit any credits and promos I am getting towards the device to be able to pay off the non-discounted price.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Making the downpayment is a great way (and the only way) to pay extra and have it lower the monthly amount. Once the EIP is established, then extra payments lower the number of months you pay. 

In the situation like yours where you have a promotional credit every month, paying off the device early is a little weird. You would have to pay off the remaining non-promotional balance of the device to show the device fully paid off. You would want to double check your specific promotion, but most of the time you are allowed to pay off the device balance and still get your promotional credits. Essentially, you buy the phone on a promotion, wait for the EIP to establish and bill on the account, and then make sure that your bill reflects the promotional credits. Once you get your first promotional credit, then you should be good to pay off your equipment balance and the promotional credits will continue for the previously established amount of time (usually 24 months). 

I hope that makes sense and helps clarify the different situations and options. 

Badge
  1. The phone purchased was the iPhone 14.  I Do NOT have any promotional credits / discounts.  
  2. This is the only EIP I have on the plan.
  3. I did make an EXTRA EIP payment through the online Extra EIP payment process.
  4. That payment DID lower my monthly auto withdrawal by the amount paid.
  5. That payment did NOT lower the EIP phone balance.
  6. Calling Customer Service (for anything) has been a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.  I have kept loyal service for over 20 years (for real!) and customer service is seriously a reason I’m considering leaving!  English has not been a primary language. Having to call them every month is ridiculous. 

. What percentage of credit did you recieve once you paid it off?

Was this resolved? I think what is happening is any additional payment gets applied to the monthly installment first. E.g, if your monthly installment for the EIP is $40 and you made an extra payment of $10, your bill would in turn be reduced by the $10. However, if you make a $50 additional payment, $40 would be applied to the installment and the $10 will be applied to the phone. Now you must be thinking is that supposed to happen? Logically, you’d think the additional $50 would be applied directly to the principle of the phone. Similar to making a prin payment on a mortgage, paying additional $1000 should not result in a $1000 less in monthly payment. But that’s not happening here. I have a similar situation and stopped making additional payments because it was defeating the purpose.