Question

Family Mode VPN … a problem for my daughter’s iPhone

• 26 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Both my teenagers have phones. We have been using Family Mode for more than a year. My son does not complain and does not mess with his VPN connection. My daughter tells me that when Family Mode’s VPN is turned on her iPhone 12 starts to slow down and/or freeze up. I would like to use all the parental tools available via the VPN connection and figure out why the VPN connection seems to be an issue. She seems convinced that turning off the VPN makes all her apps work correctly and quickly. Does this sounDfamiliar to anyone?

2 replies

Badge

My child’s android works only for about 10 hours after a “fresh” configuration.  At some point the VON disconnects and never reconnects until another fresh configuration.  It won’t respond to commands from my phone. Even on the child’s phone, it cannot figure out where it is (all other gps-based apps know exactly where the phone is).

The phone does not slow down but it does start eating battery quickly. Without Family mode, the phone can sit quietly overnight and go from 100% to 92%.  Family Mode will drain the battery to well below 80%  It’s like it tries very hard to communicate but just can do it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Some apps don't respond as well to VPN connections compared to others.  In rare cases, VPN's can cause an app to not work.  VPN's will never offer the full bandwidth of the connection unless you are paying a fortune for.it.  However, the slowdown versus safely seems like a worth while trade off, at least in my opinion.  Multitasking with apps will only compound this but your son not complaining makes me think it is more of a use case scenario, like with multitasking or with a heavy data usage app or apps.