Question

Familywhere location inaccuracy

I’ve tried contacting T-Mobile about there gps inaccuracy on familywhere.. but was unsuccessful with fixing it. My issue is the gps is showing different locations even though  we are all at home and or in the same location. How do we fix it???

22 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

There may be a setting on device to help make it more accurate. Which phone do you have? Could be your Service Provider Location setting. It needs to be set to Allow All The Time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

also if you have your phone set up to pull GPS info from other things such as wifi you could be pulling bunk info from that possibly..

I've had this same issue for about 6 weeks since we got new phones. Many tech tickets in and no resolve.  The older phones on my account do not have these issues. Gps through maps can locate me right away so its definitely a T-Mobile issue. I'm gonna cancel my familywhere plan because of it.

Did they ever figure yours out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I've had this same issue for about 6 weeks since we got new phones. Many tech tickets in and no resolve.  The older phones on my account do not have these issues. Gps through maps can locate me right away so its definitely a T-Mobile issue. I'm gonna cancel my familywhere plan because of it.

Did they ever figure yours out?

How is it a T-Mobile issue if the problem started happened when you got new devices?  Make sure high accuracy location is enabled.  

Its new T-Mobile 5g phones. All other apps correctly track except familywhere plan, which i pay for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Its new T-Mobile 5g phones. All other apps correctly track except familywhere plan, which i pay for.

T-Mobile does not make phones.  They sell them.  There’s a difference.  If those devices are having issues with GPS, then perhaps look at the manufacturers forum for troubleshooting if enabling high accuracy GPS and Location doesn’t solve it.  

with new phones the app no ​​longer works

Familywhere location inaccuracy

Userlevel 3
Badge

T-Mobile FamilyWhere® uses GPS and other network technologies to obtain locations. GPS location can be very accurate if the phone can "see" the GPS satellites. If the phone is indoors or in a place where it cannot directly see the GPS satellites, the system automatically uses alternative location technologies.

I am having same issue with two new samsung A32 5g phones.  Location works perfectly fine with Google maps and a other location applications besides family where.  There is no doubt that this may be a problem with new 5g phones working with tmobile location services, first I have had to switch network down to LTE because 5G is garbage right now even though your maps claim it is operational in my area, this seems to be with all 5g phones including my wife's LG Velvet 5g.  This particular problem does not effect the velvet so it would appear that it is selective to OS or hardware but again all other location apps seem to function normally.  Blowing this off as not a t-mobile problem is incorrect you should be concerned and provide help to your users!

I have tried to confirm that Service Provider Location has permission all the time but have not been able to find this specific setting.

If we buy new phones and Tmobile is our provider, we also pay for Family Where then yes it is a T-mobile issue to help its clients, I do not believe the person who said its not a tmobile problem has ever worked in support.  I was a network engineer for over 38 years and any customer problem is a seriouse concern not a finger pointing contest.  One happy customer might bring two friends, but one un happy customer will tell 100 people!

Im having a similar issue that started when i ordered a brand new TMO OnePlus 7 Pro Mclaren 5G… I already had the 4G 7 Pro … I took my sim card out of the old phone after transferring all my stuff to the new phone … Put sim in new phone and then handed down my old phone (after a factory reset) to my daughter using the sim card out of her Samsung S9… Now when i try and locate her, it gives me 2000 yd radius ...yet the other 4 phones on the plan can be tracked to an exact location. Do i need to reinstall the app to reconfigure something in either phone. I made sure the High accuracy tab was checked on both phones location services and i checked all the app permissions and they are set to always be allowed all the time. And yes i am super disappointed i have to turn off my 5G just to get my phone to work at all. The 5G sucks now..What happened to all these 200+mbps speeds i saw being posted, cause i'm sure not getting them.  

Im having a similar issue that started when i ordered a brand new TMO OnePlus 7 Pro Mclaren 5G… I already had the 4G 7 Pro … I took my sim card out of the old phone after transferring all my stuff to the new phone … Put sim in new phone and then handed down my old phone (after a factory reset) to my daughter using the sim card out of her Samsung S9… Now when i try and locate her, it gives me 2000 yd radius ...yet the other 4 phones on the plan can be tracked to an exact location. Do i need to reinstall the app to reconfigure something in either phone. I made sure the High accuracy tab was checked on both phones location services and i checked all the app permissions and they are set to always be allowed all the time. And yes i am super disappointed i have to turn off my 5G just to get my phone to work at all. The 5G sucks now..What happened to all these 200+mbps speeds i saw being posted, cause i'm sure not getting them.  

I did finally find the service provider location in my Samsung s20 & was able to change the access to allow all the time, that fixed this issue. Go to settings, then location, I clicked on app permissions, within there it shows all apps & their access, scroll till you find the service provider location, click on it to change the setting. This took me awhile to figure out so I wanted to post my find for anyone else it could help. :)

We just got Samsung S21 and the app is not properly working showing low accuracy. We went through all required setup adjustments and nothing helps. Customer support doesn’t have a solution to resolve the issue. I guess the FamilyWhere software should go through the round of updates that will allow the app to work properly. 

I have the same exact issue with 221 Ultra and S20…… It worked fine on older model phones - it does seem to be related to 5G phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can try to rule out 5G being the issue by shutting down 5G and switching to 4G only..then retest to see if its any more accurate than it was on 5G…

TMO might be needing to do an update for the more recently released devices..

so there are a few things that could possibly be the issue..

I have had the same issue since I upgraded my Samsung S9 to S21.  Tried everything people suggested, including turn off 5G and changed location setting, no luck.  So the FamilyWhere is useless for my Samsung S21. 

Just started FamilyWhere trial yesterday with my daughter's iPhone 11 and did everything to improve accuracy. Still sucks and pretty useless. The tracking area is way to wide to be useful.

There is no selection for FamilyWhere to be “use all the time” for location on the Galaxy Z Fold 3.  Other apps have this ability, FW does not.

I use FamilyWhere app. I'd like to know. How to make a Low Accuracy to High Accuracy?

I started using FamilyWhere on my iPhone 12 pro. GPS  Location sucks. It put my phones (all iPhones) from 5-15 miles (measured in yards) and no way to fix that, from exact locations. I don’t have a high accuracy turn on my phone. How do i fix those issues. T-mobile customer support has been no help.

I am having same issue with two new samsung A32 5g phones.  Location works perfectly fine with Google maps and a other location applications besides family where.  There is no doubt that this may be a problem with new 5g phones working with tmobile location services, first I have had to switch network down to LTE because 5G is garbage right now even though your maps claim it is operational in my area, this seems to be with all 5g phones including my wife's LG Velvet 5g.  This particular problem does not effect the velvet so it would appear that it is selective to OS or hardware but again all other location apps seem to function normally.  Blowing this off as not a t-mobile problem is incorrect you should be concerned and provide help to your users!

I have tried to confirm that Service Provider Location has permission all the time but have not been able to find this specific setting.

If we buy new phones and Tmobile is our provider, we also pay for Family Where then yes it is a T-mobile issue to help its clients, I do not believe the person who said its not a tmobile problem has ever worked in support.  I was a network engineer for over 38 years and any customer problem is a seriouse concern not a finger pointing contest.  One happy customer might bring two friends, but one un happy customer will tell 100 people!

My A53 samsung does the same and people have issues hearing Me, but told change to lte 3g not 5g, ever since they switched to ultra capacity, tried  refer  me samsung and vice versa 

This service is such a ripoff!! I use an S22 ultra i am outside sitting on a clear night it shows me as being 4017 yards as a location that is over 3 miles! When i track my wifes s21 it often says 5000 yards and ahe may be outside! Total ripoff of a service to fleece your wallet and Tmobile doesnt do crap about it Thx for nothing Tmobile I should move to Verizon.