Question

Feature Request: Disabling SMS Text if Google Authenticator is enabled

• 23 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 1 reply

Hi, I am glad that T-Mobile has made Google Authenticator available for 2 factor authentication, but I would like to be able to disable SMS text and the security questions once I have configured Google Authenticator for 2FA.  I believe that this would improve security, specially in the wake of the T-Mobile data breach.

I’d like to hear from a T-Mobile representative on this topic, and when we might expect such an enhancement on the T-Mobile website?

Thank you.

6 replies

What good is having a secure 2FA like Google Auth if anyone can get around it with SMS?

🤦🤦🤦

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Don't forget that all 2FA apps mine the hell out of everything you do on that device, just like with pretty much everything else.  Pick your poison carefully.

Badge

This is beyond stupid I just don't understand how they could allow this kind of security hole. Obviously if you enable Google Authenticator you should be able to disable SMS. Duh!!

T-Mobile I'm leaving your services just because of your stupidity

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If not leaving, you might also want to enable SIM protection if your account is eligible:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/sim-protection

FWIW, that feature should probably be made available under the security dashboard despite technically being a notification.

They will just disable SIM protection once they access your account; using SMS bypass?

Its only 2024 and they have not forked over our personal data enough times yet. Until it really hurts “them” in the pocket will they take anything security related seriously.