Question

forced to dial 1 plus area code for local calls within members of my family plan

• 26 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

recently i am unable to complete local calls within my area code. I am asked to add 1 plus area code. This is very annoying as all my local contacts are save without area code. now i have to go back and dial digit by digit. this just started. Just to make this clear THESE ARE NOT OUTSIDE THE AREA CODE OF MY PHONE NUMBER these are local and to numbers within my plan.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

are you in California? if so you are in one of 9 area codes that they are now doing this in since Sunday the 24th. this isnt a carrier deal..this is a Cali deal..

I live in bradenton,Fl and have also been forced to dial 1 and my area code just to call my family that is here local with the same area code.. this is rather annoying that I now have to go through mt entire phone book and add the 1 plus area code just to even call family or make a doctor's appointment right across the road from where I live. This is ridiculous. Who's idea was this ?

Don’t know why but mine has started at the same date now I have to put 516 and all these number are on my FAMILY plan! So stupid it is the same area code and same goes for my home number by google voice and OBI 200 I an in NY area I don’t understand what is going on please can anybody help me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

almost positive this isnt a carrier issue rather than issue brought in by each state...Cali has been hit by this for a few months now..which was a state change up.

simple way to see if this is or isnt a carrier specific deal..ask someone that is on another carrier if they must do the same thing..heck..if you have a home phone that has nothing to do with TMO use it to call a cell phone NOT with TMO and see if it happens or doesnt happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I live in bradenton,Fl and have also been forced to dial 1 and my area code just to call my family that is here local with the same area code.. this is rather annoying that I now have to go through mt entire phone book and add the 1 plus area code just to even call family or make a doctor's appointment right across the road from where I live. This is ridiculous. Who's idea was this ?

there should be an option to always have the 1 start in the front..i had to go through and add all the local area codes to peoples numbers including home numbers.

actually…

https://community.verizon.com/t5/My-Verizon/Is-this-text-a-Phishing-Scam/m-p/1224880

sound familiar? started roughly about the same time here in Cali with TMO..same as V it would seem as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Various places require 10-digit dialing, particularly if there is (or soon will be) an area code overlay. You should always enter your phone numbers in fully qualified international format (e.g. +1.234.567.8901)

I live in New York and the same thing is happening to me. I have been planning to buy a more modern phone, and now I’m thinking I should switch companies. Is this happening with all mobile phone services or is it T-Mobile?