Question

Free McAfee for the Data Breach

• 21 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Where on the T-Mobileweb site is the place to get my phones protected from this current massive DATA BREACH?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It’s not your phones that need protection, it’s your credit and identity. Best advice I can give is to freeze your credit.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/how-to-freeze-credit

You didn’t answer the question. Brilliant.

Badge

this is the link included in the text message I got telling me that my specific data was breached..

I tried to sign up with McAfee for Free because of the Data Breach and got the email from McAfee.

The way T-Mobile has it written, is that they have “No information that indicates any passwords, postpaid PIN numbers, or financial or payment information has been compromised”.

The email from McAfee wants me to give THEM my personal information to protect my data - They should get the information from T-Mobile. I’m sure T-Mobile can get this service provided to their customers without us having to Disclose our personal information once again

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I tried to sign up with McAfee for Free because of the Data Breach and got the email from McAfee.

The way T-Mobile has it written, is that they have “No information that indicates any passwords, postpaid PIN numbers, or financial or payment information has been compromised”.

The email from McAfee wants me to give THEM my personal information to protect my data - They should get the information from T-Mobile. I’m sure T-Mobile can get this service provided to their customers without us having to Disclose our personal information once again

Because the service isn’t provided by T-Mobile, it’s provided by McAfee. Now think about all the information (not just what T-Mobile may have had) that could potentially be used to steal someone's identity. Do you think T-Mobile has access to all of that? And would you want T-Mobile to set an account with username and password on your behalf with all that information with their current track record? Five hacks now in 4 years., are you sure you want T-Mobile to “get this service provided to their customers without us having to Disclose our personal information once again”? Remember that while no indication that personal financial or payment information, credit or debit card information, account numbers, or account passwords were accessed, “the exact personal information accessed varies by individual. We have determined that the types of impacted information include: names, drivers’ licenses, government identification numbers, Social Security numbers, dates of birth, T-Mobile prepaid PINs (which have already been reset to protect you), addresses and phone number(s)”.

What I did is contact the 3 credit reporting agencies and put a flag on my accounts and notify my bank. They all already have my information. The less I put my information out there the better

Yes, did the credit freeze.  

Any clue as to why McAfee did not alert when SSN actually showed up on darkweb and my credit card company finally did?