Question

Group texts won't send

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m having an intermittent problem where I can’t send some group texts, even in an already-existing string. It just spins and never sends. It seems to be more of an issue with longer (but not exorbitantly long) messages. For example, today it wouldn’t send a two-paragraph message, but then it successfully sent the shorter one I created in the same text string immediately afterward. Similarly, it wouldn’t send a several-paragraph message to three people, but it would let me send the same message to them individually.

When this happens, it’s affects the same messages both in the Samsung messages app on my phone and in the Windows Phone Link app--and it used to happen when I also tried Google Messages--so it’s not an app issue; it’s likely something with T-Mobile.

I was having the same problem about a month ago, then it improved. Now it’s begun again. Help! I need to send group texts for a variety of reasons, and this is a real problem.

43 replies

Hi Everyone. I’m having the exact same issue with group texts and sending receiving images/gifs.

No issues for 2 years and then a few days ago it started happening. I’m using the default Samsung messaging App on my Galaxy A02. I have gone through all the usual restarts and setting changes. Software is up to date, etc.

Did anyone have luck switching to a different messaging app?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Everyone. I’m having the exact same issue with group texts and sending receiving images/gifs.

No issues for 2 years and then a few days ago it started happening. I’m using the default Samsung messaging App on my Galaxy A02. I have gone through all the usual restarts and setting changes. Software is up to date, etc.

Did anyone have luck switching to a different messaging app?

Thanks

No issues using Pulse!  The current Google Messages beta has an issue sending attachments that exceed 1.05MB, regardless of what you have set in the settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

however if you choose the Google Messages route just dont opt into the Beta and it’ll work perfectly fine.

i would swap to a different texting app..worst case it doesnt work and you’ll know it isnt texting app related.

I DESPISE tmobile. We have had nothing but issues with service, "5g" be damned. As soon as we can we are swapping back to at&t or Verizon. Have had both and none of the issues we've had with tmobile.

Anyway, reading fireguys response, i turned off my wifi and the message that was 3 paragraphs long went thru immediately!!! Thanks fireguy!

group texts need data to send/receive. are you by chance running into data issues or by chance have it turned off?

group texts/pic texts need data.

straight to the person uses the voice side and not data unless its a pic or overly long text

This worked immediately for me! 

I started having this problem after an Android update. Couldnt send and receive group texts or attachments. After turning to the messaging app's and my carrier's customer support, even giving remote control to my phone, this is the only advice that fully resolved everything for me: https://www.popsci.com/diy/fix-android-messages-bug/

I started having this problem after an Android update. Couldnt send and receive group texts or attachments. After turning to the messaging app's and my carrier's customer support, even giving remote control to my phone, this is the only advice that fully resolved everything for me: https://www.popsci.com/diy/fix-android-messages-bug/

Nm. Same issues came right back 😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

any text or just MMS/pic texts/long winded texts?and which phone? purchased from TMO or brought to TMO from elsewhere?

Hey fireguy_6364

Just MMS texts (group texts and texts with attachments). Individual texts without attachments seem to be coming thru fine. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S21, purchased outside of T-mobile but has only been used on T-mobile for at least a year.

Appreciate your interest!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

which texting app is it using? pretty sure Sammy is pulling away from using their own texting app and are now pushing to Google Messages..from what i have been hearing there have been some issues with this due to some of their old messaging apps info being on the phones and borking up Google Messages or something like that..since they just started doing this semi recently im wondering if its the same deal with the S21?

and yeah..normal texts send using the voice side ish...but as soon as it becomes a 2 page text it ends up being sent through the MMS side.

It is using the Samsung Messages app. One of the techs did end up downloading Google Messages and we tried it that way but it didn't stick; the same problem cropped up there. Luckily I can use my Google Voice number and app to bypass the problem but I don't really want to use that as my everyday number. I guess I'll have to make do until I'm ready to buy a new phone. I will not be driven to it by incompetence tho! I'll get a flippin carrier pigeon first or worse, Facebook Messenger!

Just joined T-Mobile from Verizon a couple months ago, running into the intermittent MMS group texting issue as well.  Both sending & receiving occasionally fail.  I’ve run through so many of these suggestions I’m really at a loss.  T-Mobile customer service tried resetting / installing the latest network software on their end for my account, but the issue still persists.  I have the Light Phone 2.  T-mobile customer service is much better, but I’m not sure if I can deal with this…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

was your phone purchased from TMO or brought over from V?

Thanks for getting back fireguy - I brought it over from V

Just to clarify - I originally purchased the phone from the manufacturer, and recently ported over from V.

Update:  Spoke with both T-Mobile & V techs today.  TMO said the phone appears to be locked on their end.  V said that’s not possible because I’m able to make phone calls.  I tried to check the status myself on TMO’s website and it just says “Status unknown”.  I also found V’s locking policy which states “ Customers porting out service – Device remains locked until 60-day requirement has been met”.  I haven’t quite gotten past the 60-day mark since switching to TMO so I guess I’ll trying waiting a bit long.

To be continued…..

So I think the 60-day lock policy only refers to phones purchased directly from V, so this would not apply in my case.

I’ve tried rebooting, resetting back to factory default, having other group members restart the group thread, clearing / deleting my entire message (SMS & MMS) history of all threads, clearing all storage, and a few more things I probably can’t think of right now.  Another thing I need to look into is APN settings.

Here are my “TMobile US Settings”:

authType: -1

mmsPort: -

mmsProxy: -

server: *

password: -

user: -

protocol: IPV6

apn: tmus

roamingProtocol: tmus

mnc: 260

numeric: 310260

mcc: 310

proxy: -

current: 1

port: -

type: mms

I also have “TMobile (IMS) settings” & “T-Mobile US 260 DUN settings”.  I can post those too if helpful.

Let me know if anyone recognizes an issue with any of these settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks for getting back fireguy - I brought it over from V

so one thing many have ran into (especially with V) is they’ll release your number but some of your info is still in their system. could have sworn it had something to do with texts history or something in their system..anywho..it basically confuses both carriers systems since its not overly sure whos its supposed to be sent though..not saying this is in fact your issue but its also not unheard of..usually V would need to dig into their system and clear anything that has your number linked to it. normally iit can take upwards of a week+ if issues are ran into for your number to be transferred..your past this so if it isnt the APN settings needing changed around then you might look towards V and see if your info is stuck over there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the 60 day deal is like TMOs 40 day..you join TMO and your phone gets locked to them for 40 days..after that its usually auto unlocked…

also contact TMO and make sure your phones info is in their system..usually if you bring in a BYOD from another carrier the info added is not all there..you’ll need to contact TMO and have them add in the correct info. helps with unlocks etc down the road