Question

How are scammers sending scam emails from a real t-mobile email address

• 25 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I received an email from noreply@T-Mobile.com stating “BLACKFRIDAY 2O22 Rewards !”. When you hover over the offer it shows the link takes you to https://newcom698.pro/cl/3977_md/1/344/1951/1/289825. This is obviously a scam. 

How are people sending scam emails from a legit T-Mo email address like this?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It’s called spoofing and it is just as easy, if not easier than spoofing a phone number.  

T-Mobile does have a lot of Black Friday deals on the go though.  I am not saying that is legit but usually hovering over the link will display the actual link in the bottom of the browser window.  That can be a good sign of something being a scam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Cloning the email address.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

try to click on the email.  That may not be even the real address. What email software are you using?

One can easily T-Mobile  <no-reply@T-Mobile.com> as the name, and not the email displayed.  When actually clicking on the email it should show the actual email address.

I got this email on 11/20/22 saying receive a reward for taking a short survey and I was skeptical too so I checked the email address and it looked like a legit email address so I took the risk and clicked the link. Even when it redirected to the survey it still looked like T-mobile and there was maybe 8 questions about T-mobile service but then after the survey you get redirected again to claim your free prize and just have to pay S&H and that site didn’t look too legit but I decided to take the risk and claimed a prize and filled out the info fully expecting it to be a scam but I did actually get my prize with no issues. I took the survey two more times and claimed two more prizes for the price of S&H and I am currently tracking the delivery progress. What did happen though 5 days later (today) was I got a fraud alert from my bank asking if I authorized a purchase (I did not) and the merchant matched one of the sites I claimed a prize for so it seems the site was not secure and my credit card info got out, my bank did not authorize the purchase and is sending me a new card.

T-Mobile Loyalty Program image

logo

Claim your Brand New FREE

IPhone 15 Pro

Just answer a few questions!

Click here to Begin!product image

Loyalty pays off!!

You have been chosen to participate in our Loyalty Program for FREE! It will take you only a minute to receive this fantastic prize.

GET STARTED! It's FREE

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may unsubscribe by clicking here or by writing to mvrr83n5

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile Loyalty Program image

logo

Claim your Brand New FREE

IPhone 15 Pro

Just answer a few questions!

Click here to Begin!product image

Loyalty pays off!!

You have been chosen to participate in our Loyalty Program for FREE! It will take you only a minute to receive this fantastic prize.

GET STARTED! It's FREE

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may unsubscribe by clicking here or by writing to mvrr83n5

That is a scam that isn't from T-Mobile and you shouldn't have copied the links for it when sharing.

I’m new at this and technoligically challenged.  I really don’t know how to participate in this community chat.  So I just thought this was a scam, and people should know.  I do not like the criminal scammers invading my space at my expense.  They should be technoligically disabled from their predatory practices.  I’m sure we have technical ways to stop these criminals.  Why are the customers left with the liability!  Not right. 

I got this email on 11/20/22 saying receive a reward for taking a short survey and I was skeptical too so I checked the email address and it looked like a legit email address so I took the risk and clicked the link. Even when it redirected to the survey it still looked like T-mobile and there was maybe 8 questions about T-mobile service but then after the survey you get redirected again to claim your free prize and just have to pay S&H and that site didn’t look too legit but I decided to take the risk and claimed a prize and filled out the info fully expecting it to be a scam but I did actually get my prize with no issues. I took the survey two more times and claimed two more prizes for the price of S&H and I am currently tracking the delivery progress. What did happen though 5 days later (today) was I got a fraud alert from my bank asking if I authorized a purchase (I did not) and the merchant matched one of the sites I claimed a prize for so it seems the site was not secure and my credit card info got out, my bank did not authorize the purchase and is sending me a new card.

Thank you for letting me know what happened.  I’m so disgusted with the criminals in my phone, that when they totally screw it up, I’m done.  No more cellphones for me .  I have had it up to here.  There are more criminals in my phone than legit people.  I have to block at least 10 “callers” a day.  Where on earth do they get all these phone numbers!  I am sick of paying good money to have predators all over my phone like bushflies in the Australian Outback.