Solved

How to Activate Samsung watch LTE

• 31 August 2018
  • 38 replies

Show first post

38 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@dfplaya , hey there!  Do you mind letting me know where you found this?  I've been digging all day and I've not seen anything to indicate that there is a future update needed. 😊

On digits, or standalone.. the watch is not going to work until a software update is rolled out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thank you so much for filling me in!  No offense taken, I can certainly understand how frustrating it is to be knowledgeable in this area but unable to get assistance from those you count on to help.

**I apologize that it's taken me so long to get back to you, but I had a lot of research to do about DIGITS and specifically how this watch activation is supposed to work**

To answer your question, (and I was unaware of this until today, so I genuinely apologize to anyone to whom I gave incorrect information), but the Data with Paired DIGITS line is NOT standalone in the sense that the 10 digit number assigned to the mobile data line is essentially a dummy number and you won't be able to be reached if someone calls or texts it. 

Data with Paired DIGITS "copies" your existing number onto another device and allows you to call and text utilizing your primary phone number, whichever number you have paired to that specific device/DIGITS.  And for the purposes of this exercise, "pair" and "pairing" only refers to linking the Data with Paired DIGITS line to a primary line for service through the portal, nothing to do with Bluetooth.

I'm really sorry about the misinformation, but for this particular DIGITS plan, the DIGITS app is not required and you can make your changes by utilizing the portal.  I understand you went through a bit of a headache with this, but you can just uninstall it.

Get a T-Mobile ID to make managing DIGITS easier, make sure that you have a PAH (primary account holder) indicator on one of the lines on the account or else DIGITS won't work properly.

Enable Multiple Device Services for the primary line (not the DIGITS line) in My T-Mobile or the T-Mobile app.

Pair the DIGITS line with the primary line in the myDIGITS portal. This tells the device which number it's a copy of and can be changed at any time.

1. Log into the MyDIGITS portal and click on the desired Data with paired DIGITS line.
  2. Under Paired DIGITS, choose the desired primary line from the drop-down box and click Save.

Changes made to your DIGITS lines may take up to 2 hours to provision, be sure to reboot all devices after setting up the pairings.

WHEW!  Again, so sorry for the late reply. I'll be the first to admit that DIGITS isn't my forte and I wanted to make 100% sure I had the steps correct.  Now, if I'm forgetting something, I pray someone here will chime in and help out, but I think I've gotten all of the steps.  Provided the eSIM in the watch has really been activated, everything should be good to go.  Fingers crossed!

Download the Samsung galaxy watch app via iOS or Android. Set up and it will work only with Bluetooth, currently the watch does not support T-Mobile service.

Okay, so... Without being bluetooth'd to my phone, it's just a really big

watch. When we went round and round last night, they only asked for the

eSIM number and kept saying it was activated. My understanding is that the

watch has a different phone number to allow it to stand alone, but but that

the new sim was to be able to get everything from my phone's number to my

watch. We were told we needed the DIGIT app on my phone. We installed

that, but didn't get any further. It asked for the device phone number,

not saying Wich device, phone or watch. Either way, it wanted a pin number

that it never sent, so we could not finish setting up the app. My husband

is a professional techno-geek (no offense intended), but he got no where.

If it were just me... I'd send it back because... meh. Anyone have any

clue? My husband really wants them and paid a lot of money to get them.

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there!  This is a community forum and while there are T-Mobile moderators present, no one here has access to your account so calling out isn't an option.  I know it's not ideal, but there are lots of people here who would love to help you guys out if we have all of the information.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey there, so sorry to hear about your troubles.  As proven by @kronikole​, the watch is indeed compatible with Android and iOS devices, so I'm sorry you were given incorrect information. 😥

You both are right about the lack of updated information about the watch; with T-Mobile and on the internet in general.  T-Mobile finally released an overview page for the Galaxy Watch with some basic information, but nothing about getting it connected to the LTE network, unfortunately.  I know this hasn't been the best experience, but I'd like to try to help turn it around if I can. 

So you have 2 watches, this means that you should have 2 new mobile internet lines of service on your account.  Are they both set to Data with Paired DIGITS and are the lines paired with your phone number?  So sorry that you've had to go through so much and I'm sure you're tired of answering questions but I really feel like I can point you in the right direction if given the chance.

If you can, could you please call me on the number ending I'm 0150? This

is Renee Rapp, the wife. I know the situation, but I'm not one to converse

this way.

TY

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Alrighty, terribly sorry about that- I had no idea that this watch would be so different from the previous versions!  I certainly agree that there needs to be more updated information about the new watch. 

I am curious about a couple of things, though- when you say that T-Mobile couldn't get the eSIM recognized, I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Did they receive an error message when they attempted to activate the eSIM on your Data with Paired Digits line?  Was there any mention of the EID?  This is a number located on the original box that is used to activate the eSIM.  Also, the ICCID and the SIM are the same number, are you saying that your watch has nothing in the space at Settings>About Watch>Device?  I ask because we did have another fellow whose eSIM/ICCID was missing or blank in his settings.

I realize you have spent a ton of time trying to get the watch up and running and I know you're very frustrated.  Again, I'm sorry for assuming that the watches would be similar to set up. 

I have found the exact same issue.  I spent 3 hours on the phone trying to get 2 devices (I took them up on their half price deal) working and being thrown to different departments.  One person would tell me they only work with Samsung phones.  This is certainly not in the documentation.  I think this is so new, they do not have their software and processes down yet on how to activate this phone.  If I am wrong, someone tell me what the secret is because I am extremely frustrated,

Actually, no. I don't really see "steps" in any of the posts.  I see that you think this watch will be the same as all the others.  But it is absolutely not. After hours on the phone, T-Mobile could not get the eSIM recognized.  Of course, T Mobile support knows all the steps to get the the correct DIGITS plan working.

Then I spent another two hours in the T-mobile store, and even the store associate needed to call T Mobile support, and THEY had to escalate.

Currently, I do have a number for the watch, but all calls go to voicemail.  The watch does not ring.  I paired it with an iPhone from Verizon, and the Bluetooth connectivity works great! I get calls texts and message from m iPhone.  Yay Verizon!

Point is, all screens and commands are different on this watch, and you will need to go to work to update your documentation. One very important thing is that with this watch there is no ICCID on the watch.  No matter how many times T Mobile asked me for the ICCID, I had to give them the same answer/

Hopefully it will start working today.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @kronikole​!

@magentatechie is spot-on. Did the steps she passed along help you activate your watch?

Keep us posted!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey there!  First, did you get your eSIM actvated?  Did you get your watch from T-Mobile?  If so, you should have a new line set up with the Data with Paired DIGITS plan.

If you didn't get it from T-Mobile, you'll want to ensure that you do have a line on your account with the afore mentioned plan.  Once you have established the line, you'll want to make sure it is paired with your phone number.  Manage DIGITS users and pairings

There isn't a ton of info out there about setting up this particular watch, but I can't help but wonder if it is very different from Samsung's previous standalone devices.  First-time use: Samsung Gear S3 frontier  might be able to give you some clues.