Question

Identifying US phone numbers as international numbers

• 20 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have an issue that seems to be getting worse. 10 digit US numbers coming across to my phone as international numbers. The numbers appear in ID like this with space between each 2 numbers, 12 34 56 78 90, so it is identified as the interational number by the first 2 digits. Why does this happen? and why does it annoy me so much?

Now I am guessing they are telemarketers because I have yet to get a message from one of them. How does scam blocker address these numbers? Does it actually block the number the coming across or does it think it is blocking an international number? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Certain assumptions are made in the system based on settings. What phone do you have and what is the Language & Region that it’s set to?

Badge

I have a Samsung Note 20, I have had this phone for a lover a year and many other Samsung Notes and Galaxy phones. This seems like a newer issue in the past yearish? 

US, English

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

There’s a function in the Android OS called PhoneNumberUtils that formats the phone number according to various standards. When the arguments are the number and the string “US” it should return the number in a “+1(234)567-8901” format. The question is what’s causing it to return “12 34 56 78 90” I’m not sure. You’d think there would be a setting that controlled that.

This issue as been addressed in a previous thread but says it's "solved" but it is obviously not solved. This issue continues to exist when switching from one carrier to another. 

In the prior thread, user "perhydropyrene" offered a solution if T-mobile's tech support will only read it and apply it.

Here is that previous thread: