Issues with being lied to by T-Mobile

• 8 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Has anyone else had staff at a T-Mobile store lie to you?  First off, we switched to T-Mobile in the last few months from a local carrier.  We were with the local carrier over twenty (20) years.  We were shown a coverage map and it showed full service in our area with 5G.  We also were told of a promotion of buy three lines got one free. We ended up getting five (5) lines, which means we should only be paying for four (4), but we have been charged each month for five (5).  The local T-Mobile Store did credit back for two (2) of the months for overages, but it has never been correct.

Our parents, who have two (2) of the five (5) lines can’t even use their phone eighty (80) percent of the time in the town they live in.  Again, they were shown a map and it indicated the town they lived in was covered.  Over the past few weeks, we are missing enough calls we can’t keep track and not being able to make calls.  A large percentage of texts are not being sent because of coverage issues.  I’m a police detective, on call 24/7 and my work has to be able to reach me.  I have missed two (2) calls for service with one being a missing girl.

While on some calls, I am unable to get information, pictures and other needed things sent to me.  This all the while I am standing and working in the town the T-Mobile Store is in and guaranteed I would have coverage.  I did call to get help with this and I was told 5G was a problem in our area.  We were not told this when we switched.  The tech told me to switch my device to LTE as it was very strong and would allow my phone to work.  Well, a few days of that and the problem has stayed the same.    

I called over the weekend to see about ending service with them and figuring something else out.  I am running the risk of being demoted or losing my job.  I am told that I can leave their service, but would have to pay $1,850.00 for devices.  This is where another lie plays out. 

I was told when we started service, we could trade our almost new phones from our last carrier to slightly newer phones without having any monthly credits.  I explained unequivocally, we have always paid for devices outright and I don’t want to owe anything on them.  We would keep our current ones as we hadn’t got them long ago, or would trade and pay the difference.  We did trade and paid what we believed was the difference.  However, I am being told everything we paid that day was for activation and fees.  Activation and fees were very high I guess. 

Maybe the good in all of this, I have pages and pages of screen shots where I don’t have service, can’t send or receive messages and when I try to use the internet it doesn’t work.  This covers the last few weeks and several times per day.  I simply want them to honor their word and remove the $1,850.00 in device fees they say I own, which is a direct lie compared to what I agreed to in the store.  Maybe if they don’t want to do that, give me my other devices back and I will give you these.  I want to move back to a company that works and I don’t have to run the risk of being demoted or losing my job.  I will look to escalate this however I need to legally for the proper remedy.  I will update how things go.            

3 replies

Unfortunately, we have a similar circumstance. We were lied to by T-Mobile staff at a store at 122nd and Penn in Oklahoma City. We had an iPhone 11 that we traded in on an iPhone 14. I was told that the difference in cost would be $400.00 and when I agreed to that amount and offered immediate payment, I was told that this was a promotion and would require that we pay it out over two years and that full payment on the spot was not an option. I assumed that this policy was because T-Mobile wanted to earn interest on the financing of a $400 phone device charge. 

As it turns out, - and only after I began making serious and in-depth inquiries, it was revealed that the actual device charge was around $800 - that no one mentioned - and the monthly cost was to be discounted so that, at the end of two years, my cost would be $400.00 - but in checking my payoff today -- after having already paid on the phone for a full 12 months - the payoff is $420 !!!!!!!  The payoff - after making 12 payments -- is $20 higher than what I was told the TOTAL cost would be.

In addition to this phone cost issue -- T-Mobile arbitrarily and unilaterally modified my “auto-pay” agreement so that the credit card was no longer acceptable without added charges. T-Mobile wanted direct access to my bank account. At 80 years of age, and on a fixed income, I will not let them have access to the accounts at my bank. There was never a problem with my credit cards and my credit rating is in the range of 815 so I don’t understand the T-Mobil conduct. 

I am so disgusted and disappointed with T-Mobile’s lack of honesty and clarity, that I’m now going to change to another carrier immediately. 

Good luck working with T-Mobile -- I had no success with them at all. They change agreements arbitrarily, lie on device costs, and add charges that were never agreed to on your bill. 

They seem to always lie to the customer, promising you everything.

Hi Alissa brunne recently been with T-Mobile for 6 to 5 months and what happened was they wrongfully did my account unauthorized and lied and and promises don't mean nothing they say they're doing a job but they just lie and they up your bill and then I put my trust in them and they turn me off and and I'm going to health issues and I need Justice I need my money back and I've been having trouble with my phone sense day one this phone I have is the 4th warranty phone and you guys promised that u took what was charged that I got on account supposedly you lied didn't receive my cell phones I got my ups receipt so that's a lie and you didnt fix it I need help immediately this wrong .  Justice for this and I need somebody to help me cuz you guys are a big company worldwide and this is wrong and I know there's more than me that y'all did this too and this is very urgent and very serious cuz my life is at risk because I need my phone on you guys just totally took advantage of a customer that's think to double check ur employees and supervisors promises now I'm without service it's wrong I'm in to much to go get a phone etc top that's easter weekend and on top that I have to get my phone on before due to appt that is highly important can't miss it due to MRI before surgery I'm dedicated to get something done.  I'm about to have surgery pretty soon here so I need some help in it and get this stuff settled I already went up to command in this situation and they tell me I got to pay a bill  that I didn't authorize to cancel because they simply suspended my stuff on Friday the March 29th and later on that day the supervisor hung up on me and they cancel my situation of me not  authorizing that since day one everybody's been lying and and not doing what was planned I never had this done like this to me more then stressed out due to this is my lively hood u known lord don't like ugly I'm gonna get heard. I put it in ower father from the beautiful heaven gates to handle this wicked situation amen .