Question

leaving family plan (owner of account)

• 8 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi

I’m the owner on an existing family plan and I’m wondering how it’ll work if I leave. What happens to the second line? Currently on a simple choice plan with 2 lines. I know I need to be mindful of when in my billing cycle I leave, port my number over etc, but I’m really more so interested in finding out what the other line can expect to happen. How does tmobile adjust their billing when the primary account holder leaves? Any help would be much appreciated.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

One of the other lines will need to be made the PAH by doing a change of responsibility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Leaving the account when you are the account owner is a bit more complicated than if you were the additional line. A couple things to keep in mind in your situation as it is stated:

1. Even though your phone number is leaving the T-Mobile account, everything will still be in your name. If you don’t want your name and information associated to the account anymore, you will want to have the other person create a new account, move their number, and then you can take your number or keep it on your plan by itself. 
  2. If you move your line off of the account, the person that stays would have to reach out to customer support to have the plan updated to a single line plan instead of a family plan. The Simple Choice plan was such a great deal and no longer offered, so they would lose that plan and all of the savings that it comes with.

If you are comfortable sharing a bit more background about your situation, then I may be able to come up with a better recommendation for you. 

Badge

Leaving the account when you are the account owner is a bit more complicated than if you were the additional line. A couple things to keep in mind in your situation as it is stated:

1. Even though your phone number is leaving the T-Mobile account, everything will still be in your name. If you don’t want your name and information associated to the account anymore, you will want to have the other person create a new account, move their number, and then you can take your number or keep it on your plan by itself. 
  2. If you move your line off of the account, the person that stays would have to reach out to customer support to have the plan updated to a single line plan instead of a family plan. The Simple Choice plan was such a great deal and no longer offered, so they would lose that plan and all of the savings that it comes with.

If you are comfortable sharing a bit more background about your situation, then I may be able to come up with a better recommendation for you. 

Thank you Heather, this makes sense. Yeah I am afraid about them losing the simple choice plan since that doesnt exist anymore. Darn. Could I change the plan for them after my number’s ported over? Secondary line would need to speak to someone in spanish to make any changes.

I wouldn’t mind hearing more, not sure if there’s a more direct way we could talk. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

no it would need to be handled prior to your number leaving since you are still the account holder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank you Heather, this makes sense. Yeah I am afraid about them losing the simple choice plan since that doesnt exist anymore. Darn. Could I change the plan for them after my number’s ported over? Secondary line would need to speak to someone in spanish to make any changes.

I wouldn’t mind hearing more, not sure if there’s a more direct way we could talk. Thank you.

If the account only has one line after you move your line off, then they would lose that plan either way. If they kept the family plan and added an additional line to it, then they could keep the simple choice plan. The second line may have to pay extra for data since the plan is retired and the data packages changed. 

We have a lot of support for Spanish speakers, so they can give us a call at any time and get any questions they have answered. 

The thing I love about answering questions on the threads is that you may not be the only one with this question, so talking it out here provides the answers for anyone else that is wondering. If you want to direct message me, you can. I don’t have account access, so I can't provide too many details. You can reach our customer support team my direct messaging T-Mobile on Facebook or Twitter and they can dig in and provide more account specific information. 

I wish you much good luck resolving this and I hope you’ll let us know what happened when it is. I’m simply trying to make my (over 40) son the Primary Account Holder, CS is making that tremendously harder! He knows the plan will change and that’s fine, still they won’t let it happen! We live in 2 different states, I have 1 line and no device to pay off, he and his wife have 2 lines with devices to pay off. I can not understand why they are making this impossible for us. I might have to pay off both of their devices and close the entire account. This has been a thorn in my side because I need a new phone as mine is very damaged and does little more than make calls and send texts, nothing else functions. I need help resolving this without having to spend another 6 hours on the phone with an rep following the scripts they been told to use, such as Mrs (name) may I possibly put you on the briefest of holds so I may look at something, I say yes and you don’t have to ask that the same way.