Question

My mom added lines and bought phones to my plan without my knowledge

• 7 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I signed up with T-Mobile with my mom and two sisters. My phone and my mom’s phone had a BOGO Free for both my sisters so we had to pay for the two phones and four lines.

At the store, they asked me if I wanted to add her as an authorized user, I said no. Later on my mom and sisters moved away.

After the move, she brought up needing to be an authorized user for getting something for my sister’s birthday/Christmas, and she lived a couple hours away and it was easier to add her as an authorized user rather than drive, so I added her over the phone. 

After adding her as a user, she ended switching all the primary information to her accounts. (G-Mail, Phone number, T-Mobile app) and blinded me from any notifications of new service / devices/ etc. She ended up using my credit to get herself and I an Apple Watch, and AirPods for herself. Then 6-7 months later she then maxed out my credit, got two phones and a galaxy watch for her, and her husband. And with her getting the new devices, she switched my 4-Line plan to a 9-Line plan.

Everything that was added I never was ran by me, done without my knowledge and consent, and I hope someone might know how to get the devices out of my name.

She added the new devices on Sep 9th, I found out about a week ago with T-Mobile customer service and switched everything back to my name and removed her as an authorized user. 

Speaking with customer service, he said it may be possible to transfer the service into her name, removing all financial responsibility off of me but I am not confident since she owes money to sprint, and may not be able to switch all or some of the devices. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the site here is primarily peer to peer with a handful of moderators/admins to keep the site in order only..they do not have account access..you will need to either call in (tier 1 support) or contact them through one of their social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter (tier 2 support).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sounds like an issue best taken to family court.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

1st off sorry you are going thru this. But here is the rub, as a Authorized user you gave her Permission to make changes to your Account. As such T-Mobile took all of these actions as Permitted by you when she made those changes. Authorized users by Default are allowed to make changes to the Account and these Do Not need to be Reported to you as you have already given permission for this to happen. As far as putting the service in her name you may be able to do that, but as the original Account Holder you are still Responsible for Charges on the Account. As another user stated you may have to take her to court to recover your lost money. But as far as T-Mobile will be concerned You will be Responsible for any Charges Related to Your Account made by Authorized Users.

Today Is The Tomorrow You Worried About Yesterday