Question

NEED HELP - Ported from Verizon and unable to receive any SMS texts from Verizon phones, all else fine

Badge

Six weeks ago I switched 4 phone numbers from Verizon to T-Mobile and purchased 4 new phones.  While the other 3 work fine, mine has a very specific issue that no one has been able to resolve.

I can call and text phones on all carriers with no issue.  

I can receive calls and MMS texts from all carriers with no issue.  This includes sending photos and group messages.

I can receive SMS texts from all carriers, however I cannot receive SMS texts from any Verizon phone.  If a Verizon user texts me even one word, it is not received.  To make it worse, the sender does not know it was not received, and I do not know that they tried to send me something.  It is a business line that I’ve had for over 20 years and I now have pissed off customers and am missing out on potential new business.  

I have made dozens of calls to T-Mobile and Verizon tech support, and completed all the triage and troubleshooting steps, including:

New SIM cards (physical and E-sim), and switching to different phones.

Performed network and factory phone resets.

T-Mobile preformed a rebroadcast (re-port).

It is not a device issue and does not make a difference whether using Android or Apple phones.  

I have traveled to different states and the issue exists everywhere.  It is not related to towers, roaming, 5G coverage, etc.

Both T-Mobile and Verizon tech support say that the ports were completed successfully.  Naturally each points the finger at the other.

Getting past the first tier of support with either company has been challenging and frustrating.  This is way beyond a customer service rep going through a checklist of easy fixes.  I have gotten to higher level tech support and opened multiple trouble tickets with both carriers, and yet no one ever contacts me with any solutions.

No one has been able to determine exactly where in the normal process of a message being sent from the Verizon network and received by the T-Mobile that it is breaking down or getting hung up.  I would think this would be key to figuring out what is wrong.  

I have just filed a formal complaint with the FCC.  Unfortunately I did not do this weeks ago.  I have zero confidence that it will lead to any resolution anyway.  

At this point, I cannot wait any longer while the issue continues, and I lose business. 

Please is there anyone who has experience with this exact issue and can help?  Thank you very much!

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried taking you simcard out of your phone and check to see if sms comes through? If so it's the sim card.

Also try contacting Tmobile support using messenger on one of tmobile's social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter, they are a higher tier of support.

Badge

Thanks for your reply gramps28.

Yes I have tried multiple new SIM cards and also switching SIM cards to different phones.  The issue persists regardless of the phone or the SIM card used.  It must be related to either the T-Mobile or Verizon message centers, or how they talk to each other.  

I am not a Facebook or Twitter user, but appreciate the idea and will see if there is another way to contact them.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Live chat is an option. Go to the support tab below this post, click it and go to the contact us section. If live chat is available a window will open.

Badge

I have tried the Live Chat.  Challenge was not being able to explain the issue and attempted resolutions with any specificity and keep it within the limited space available.  Also have multiples calls with the Tech Support line (useless beyond the basics), the Number Transfer Center and the Porting Department.  They can read the canned responses that come up on their computer screens, but so far no one actually has had any working knowledge of the situation or what to do to resolve it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try live chat again and link this thread.

Badge

👍 will try that, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you don't want to do social media, YouTube may be an option if you're open to it.

https://m.youtube.com/user/TMobile/custom

I had an issue with text messaging after porting from Verizon.  The app I have is “Messages” by Google, and I solved my issue by opening the text message app, going to “Messages settings”, clicking on “Advanced”, and at the bottom correcting the “phone number”.  

When I ported over from Verizon, T-Mobile assigned a temporary number to create my account, and then ported my number over.  This caused the temp number to be assigned in the text message app which caused errors receiving messages from some people, even though others could still send me a text message.

Maybe your issue is similar.  Check all the settings in your text message app to see if anything might be wrong.

Badge

Thanks for the suggestion Taranis.  I checked and it has the correct phone number.  In addition to Google Messages, I have also tried using Samsung Messages and even Verizon Message+.  None of them have worked for receiving SMS texts sent by Verizon phones.  

Badge

Did you get a resolution? I am having the SAME issue and it’s been a nightmare with their support.

Badge

I did finally get resolution.  It took filing a formal complaint with the FCC:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us.  Within two business days, I was contacted by a person with the T-Mobile Executive Response Team.  He confirmed that all the normal troubleshooting had already been attempted.  Then we did some test texts from a couple Verizon phones and an engineer was able to track down the issue.  I’m not sure exactly what it was, but once the issue got elevated to the right people, it was fixed satisfactorily.  

My advice:  First go through the process of normal troubleshooting, but if the issue persists, don’t hesitate to file a complaint with the FCC to get it elevated to a higher level with engineer involvement.  Worked for me.  

I am having the exact same issue, and I have gone through all of the same steps you listed, I am now at the point where I am waiting to get a callback from the port and transfer number people. I felt very disappointed reading through your text seeing that that also did not work. I have been chatting with 611 and even sent them a link to your post and I am currently filing a complaint with the FCC. They should have a flow chart for this issue since it is a known issue. Thanks for your post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

keep in mind thought that you usually will get  a random number assigned to you until your number fully gets transferred over. so if the prior carrier is dragging their feet it’ll take even longer to get everything fully switched.

Experiencing the same issue but it is Verizon (non iPhone) and now Spectrum Mobile too (non iPhone) so only text messages. Hoping there is some resolution as I have tried all the basic suggestions and nothing worked.

i am having a simular issue. I moved from an android to Iphone. That is when my problem started not able to receive text from android phones using verizon. I am not receiving their response and they are unaware that I have not received.  TMobile is not responsive, other than to call and tell me they have found no issues and to check to see if it has fixed “it’s self”. I appreciate you taking the time to post. I have filed a complaint with the FCC. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i am having a simular issue. I moved from an android to Iphone. That is when my problem started not able to receive text from android phones using verizon. I am not receiving their response and they are unaware that I have not received.  TMobile is not responsive, other than to call and tell me they have found no issues and to check to see if it has fixed “it’s self”. I appreciate you taking the time to post. I have filed a complaint with the FCC. 

the issue is usually on Vs side..your number is still linked into their system. cant remember what it was on their side that needed to happen.

I am not a new customer to TM. just switched from an Android to IP. Tier 1 support , i will try that method.Thanks!

When Verizon ports a number out they don’t always purge the number from their SMS and or MMS servers. 
 You can get faster resolution if you can get to Verizon tier 2 when calling Verizon and ask them to remove your number and tell the Voice Service ported fine but not SMS Text or MMS picture messaging.

As long as your number is on Verizon’s platform, messages towards your number don’t actually Leave Verizon. 
It is easy to tell if this is the case, you will start receiving immediately after they release it.

Hope this Helps.

Re: Extremely Frustrated

“I did finally get resolution.  It took filing a formal complaint with the FCC:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us.  Within two business days, I was contacted by a person with the T-Mobile Executive Response Team.  He confirmed that all the normal troubleshooting had already been attempted.  Then we did some test texts from a couple Verizon phones and an engineer was able to track down the issue.  I’m not sure exactly what it was, but once the issue got elevated to the right people, it was fixed satisfactorily.  

My advice:  First go through the process of normal troubleshooting, but if the issue persists, don’t hesitate to file a complaint with the FCC to get it elevated to a higher level with engineer involvement.  Worked for me.”

This is Verizon issue and filing a FCC Complaint on T-Mobile is filing against the wrong party.

Verizon is who is holding your number Hostage on their messaging platform.

Best Regards

T-Mobiles responsibility is to Deliver the T-Mobile senders message to the Verizon messaging platform. 
Verizon’s responsibility is to deliver the Verizon Customers message to the T-Mobile messaging platform.

The problem lies with who is not delivering the message in the scenarios listed above. 
If a message never leaves the Verizon platform, T-Mobile can’t reach in and get it. 
We do see numbers from other carriers stuck with profiles still present after a port out but it is very rare and they are removed immediately when they come up.

Best Regards

I am having the same issue. Ported over phone numbers from Verizon to T-Mobile and I am not receiving text messages from Verizon customers now. It’s weird and tech support was no help.