Solved

ONE Plan Unlimited 55 in the Philippines

Badge

As the title says, we have the ONE Plan Unlimited 55 plan and we’re headed to the Philippines. I have a couple of questions:

1. We still get unlimited SMS and data, right? Are there any restrictions?
  2. How does voice calling work? Do I understand correctly that it's free unlimited calling back to the U.S. if I use WiFi calling? Otherwise, it’s $0.25/minute? How about if I call to a number in the Philippines and elsewhere?
  3. Are the add-on international plans to enhance data speeds and data amounts only? Are there benefits for SMS and/or voice calling?
icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 24 July 2022, 20:55

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  1. Unlimited texts. Check
  2. Free WiFi calling to the US and incoming WiFi calls.
  3. Data Pass also gives free calls during pass validity.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/international-passes

Badge
  1. Unlimited texts. Check
  2. Free WiFi calling to the US and incoming WiFi calls.
  3. Data Pass also gives free calls during pass validity.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/international-passes

Thank you, drnewcomb! Follow-up question: Does the International Pass unlimited calling mean I can call anywhere with no additional fees using local service (not WiFi calling) and not only back to the U.S?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you, drnewcomb! Follow-up question: Does the International Pass unlimited calling mean I can call anywhere with no additional fees using local service (not WiFi calling) and not only back to the U.S?

They say “unlimited calling” but I kind of believe that if you placed a bunch of calls to an Iridium line (normally $15/min) you’d find out that’s not what they meant. They really aren’t all that specific about what they mean by “unlimited”.

If you use a VoIP app, like Viber or Google Voice, you can normally get by without the Data Pass. You just have to manage your phone usage and think about it, rather than just using the phone as usual.

Badge

They say “unlimited calling” but I kind of believe that if you placed a bunch of calls to an Iridium line (normally $15/min) you’d find out that’s not what they meant. They really aren’t all that specific about what they mean by “unlimited”.

If you use a VoIP app, like Viber or Google Voice, you can normally get by without the Data Pass. You just have to manage your phone usage and think about it, rather than just using the phone as usual.

Thank you again, drnewcomb! Yes, that’s causing my confusion. I don’t know what “unlimited calling” really means. We’re ok as long as we have the unlimited SMS and data (albeit not premium speed). We can get by with Messenger for voice but there may be occasions when we have to call people who are not tech-savvy and only know how to use regular cell/landline service.

I’ll look into Google Voice and refresh my Viber knowledge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you again, drnewcomb! Yes, that’s causing my confusion. I don’t know what “unlimited calling” really means. We’re ok as long as we have the unlimited SMS and data (albeit not premium speed). We can get by with Messenger for voice but there may be occasions when we have to call people who are not tech-savvy and only know how to use regular cell/landline service.

I’ll look into Google Voice and refresh my Viber knowledge.

Yeah. There’s a current thread from a guy whose wife made a bunch of calls while on a cruise ship and got charged big time for the calls, despite having a data pass. Needless to say, it doesn’t apply to cruise ships. I think it’s just to the 210+ countries where free roaming works.

Badge

That’s my understanding, too - you have to be in one of the 210+ countries. When we go on cruise, I lock up our phones in the safe as soon as we leave port. :-)

I just took a quick look at Viber and Google Voice. It looks promising. In theory, since we have data as part of our 55+ plan, I can fire up either app and make calls, right? The rates on both are better than $0.25/min.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey friends! I want to try and clarify some of the questions you have here so that you can enjoy peace of mind while you are traveling :) 

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile I love this tool because it does give you a basic breakdown of the prices while traveling and helps you make sure we have some partnerships where you are going. 

For the Philippines, text to your hearts content while you are there. The data access is also unlimited access, but may be slower. The passes can help in the situations where you must have higher speed, but often times you are able to manage without them. I would say try the service as is and if you need more speed, add the pass at that time. The link that drnewcomb provided discusses the different ways it can be added. 

Wifi calling is an interesting program. If you are in the Philippines and connected to wifi with wifi calling on, your phone is going to act like it is on a US tower. With that said, you do NOT want to call non-US numbers with that type of connection. The $0.25 is not bad if you have to make a couple calls here and there. The data passes do say unlimited, so I would not worry about the number of calls or length of calls while you have it. Honestly, I could see the timeframe on them to be the trickiest part. Let’s say you get one for 24 hours and you make a call in the 23rd hour. If you are still on the call after the time ends, those minutes can start charging and you may not notice until the charges have already stacked up.

A little math to help illustrate the point. $0.25/min for 60 minutes is only $15. The highest international pass we offer is 30 days unlimited talk and 15GB of data is $50, so if you plan on being on the phone for 200 minutes total for a month of traveling, the pass pays for itself. 

drnewcomb mentions cruises. Let’s just agree that cruise ships are a horse of an entirely different color and you are best to lock up your phone as dborja suggests and take the “old fashioned” camera to capture all of your amazing moments. 

I hope this offers some clarity on the traveling situation so you can focus on the trip and the experience instead of the stress of your phone bill. 

Badge

Thanks, HeavenM! I appreciate your explanation. So, if I’m using WiFi Calling and call a local Philippine mobile/landline phone, the $0.25/min applies? And then the same if I’m not using WiFi Calling?

For the International Pass, are you saying that the $0.25/min charge in the two cases above will not apply (as in “free”) while the pass is in effect?

Dale

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks, HeavenM! I appreciate your explanation. So, if I’m using WiFi Calling and call a local Philippine mobile/landline phone, the $0.25/min applies? And then the same if I’m not using WiFi Calling?

For the International Pass, are you saying that the $0.25/min charge in the two cases above will not apply (as in “free”) while the pass is in effect?

Dale

When on WiFi Calling, the phone acts like it was in the USA. If your rate to call the Philippines from the USA is $3/min, (rack rate) that’s what it costs. If your rate is 30¢/min (as with Stateside-International) add-on, then it’s 30¢. It’s so confusing, that’s why I suggest using a VoIP provider, like Google Voice.  Make all your calls using VoIP and you’ll never pay more than 3¢/min.

Badge

Yes, VoIP is still on the table. I talked to my wife about how she thinks she’s going to do voice calls and she said just about everyone she may talk to is on Messenger so we’ll play it by ear (unintended pun 🙂).

I have magenta service with T mobile , my question is Do I need to buy wifi internet  service when I am out and about in the Philippines, since i do have a problem getting connected .

Thanks ,

Glecy