Question

Overcharged During Travel

• 8 February 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge

I went on a cruise last November and I was overcharged $605 even though I called to make sure that we could use the internet. 

1. On 11/28/21 (before the ship sailed), I called T-mobile to see if they had any packages for cruises and international calling for Mexico and the Bahamas. The customer service representative said yes, it will be $35 for 3 lines for 10 days, and it needed to be paid instantly so we paid $105 total.

2. When the ship was at sea, we had no signal or internet. When we landed in the Bahamas, we called T-mobile and they told us that they had made a mistake and that T-mobile doesn't directly deal with Royal Caribbean: The Oddysey. She offered to take off $50 for their mistake and said that we could still use the internet when the boat landed. Because of that, we had to pay an extra $26 extra for each day on the cruise. 

3. When we came home, we got a bill from T-mobile for a $605 service charge because we didn't turn our phones on airplane mode when the boat was at sea. We already paid extra for the cruise and paid extra for T-mobile for internet that wasn't even available. The customer service representative didn't tell us to turn on airplane mode on our phones while we were on land so we didn't know it could incur charges. 

4. We have called T-mobile every week since we got back and every time, customer service lets us know that they will give the $605 credit back to us and we should receive the credit card refund within a week but each time we wait, nothing happens. 

5. Last week, we had contact with a supervisor named Jim. He said that he would not do anything about that because it is "our problem" and that they could only credit us back for a total of $105. He also said, "Go to court, I don't care." We also got a note today that we have to take care of the bill or they will charge us $20 a day for each line by tomorrow 2/8/22.

6. My family and I have been with T-mobile for over 10 years and we travel often. In order to not be charged extra for the bill, we always buy the international package but we did not expect to be turned away like this when we asked for T-mobile's help even though we have been loyal to them for over a decade. We are reconsidering switching over to another company because of the way we have been treated.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Everything I've  read is you need to make sure you don't connect to the cruise ships connection. They have their own roaming charges that aren't included in  Tmobile's roaming agreement.

In short don't use cellular roaming while on a cruise ship.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

They didn’t actually overcharge you but you may have been misinformed about T-Mobile’s international Data Pass. This is one of the hazards of doing business by phone call. Everything said is just dust on the wind. Had you looked at T-Mobile’s roaming page you’d have seen an extra section dealing with roaming onboard ships. Essentially it says that there’s no cellular data on Royal Caribbean ships but making phone calls costs $5.99 per minute. It seems like maybe the charges you incurred were for phone calls placed or received onboard.

I had a few business calls to the US while outside of Seattle and Victoria BC and they whacked me with 150.00 roaming fees.  I called and the jolly gentleman after saying my name over and over again and repeating my question said he can't do Jack.  I understand there is fees but don't mark them up, this is silly.  They probably turned it into a profit center for fun, yep I was on a cruise ship, and now I got schnockered with a silly fee on top of my already massive monthly bill with 4 phones for the family..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Can you explain what “outside of Seattle and Victoria BC” means? Was this on a ship?

Badge

I’m having this same issue AFTER a t-mobile told me that International Roaming would be covered on a cruise.  I even requested a personal guarantee which was texted to me.  Got an alert for charges of $200 so far and trying to resolve the issue as my family members are currently on the cruise.

I’m waiting for a supervisor to call me back, but will be filing a BBB complaint if not resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Read bullet point #4.

My daughter went on a cruise, she couldn’t make any calls or even have any internet while on the cruise , T-Mobile sent me a bill for $1566 , showing that she made calls , which she didn’t because I couldn’t even contact her while she was on the cruise , my husband had called them like twice before the cruise asking them to cut all international calls off  our account and they still send the bill saying she made international calls which she didn’t,   I had call them and set up a payment plan for $356 monthly,which they agree to , the  first payment they got they restored my service in few days  they cut back my phone off saying I have to pay the entire bill before my service is restored, which is a trick they use to get you to pay like apart and the. They’ll cut your phone back , we’ve been with them for many years , I asked them if I pay off my phone would it be unlocked so I can switch , they say no even if my phone is paid off they won’t unlock it,  So basically even after paying off my phone I still cannot use it :-(. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My daughter went on a cruise, she couldn’t make any calls or even have any internet while on the cruise , T-Mobile sent me a bill for $1566 , showing that she made calls , which she didn’t because I couldn’t even contact her while she was on the cruise , my husband had called them like twice before the cruise asking them to cut all international calls off  our account and they still send the bill saying she made international calls which she didn’t,   I had call them and set up a payment plan for $356 monthly,which they agree to , the  first payment they got they restored my service in few days  they cut back my phone off saying I have to pay the entire bill before my service is restored, which is a trick they use to get you to pay like apart and the. They’ll cut your phone back , we’ve been with them for many years , I asked them if I pay off my phone would it be unlocked so I can switch , they say no even if my phone is paid off they won’t unlock it,  So basically even after paying off my phone I still cannot use it :-(. 

If she didn’t make any calls.  Why agree to pay?  Once you agree to pay, you took responsibility for that usage.  To SIM unlock a device, your account must not have a past due balance.  You can review the SIM Unlock Policy at the link below.  

SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device (t-mobile.com)

I went on a cruise last November and I was overcharged $605 even though I called to make sure that we could use the internet. 

1. On 11/28/21 (before the ship sailed), I called T-mobile to see if they had any packages for cruises and international calling for Mexico and the Bahamas. The customer service representative said yes, it will be $35 for 3 lines for 10 days, and it needed to be paid instantly so we paid $105 total.

2. When the ship was at sea, we had no signal or internet. When we landed in the Bahamas, we called T-mobile and they told us that they had made a mistake and that T-mobile doesn't directly deal with Royal Caribbean: The Oddysey. She offered to take off $50 for their mistake and said that we could still use the internet when the boat landed. Because of that, we had to pay an extra $26 extra for each day on the cruise. 

3. When we came home, we got a bill from T-mobile for a $605 service charge because we didn't turn our phones on airplane mode when the boat was at sea. We already paid extra for the cruise and paid extra for T-mobile for internet that wasn't even available. The customer service representative didn't tell us to turn on airplane mode on our phones while we were on land so we didn't know it could incur charges. 

4. We have called T-mobile every week since we got back and every time, customer service lets us know that they will give the $605 credit back to us and we should receive the credit card refund within a week but each time we wait, nothing happens. 

5. Last week, we had contact with a supervisor named Jim. He said that he would not do anything about that because it is "our problem" and that they could only credit us back for a total of $105. He also said, "Go to court, I don't care." We also got a note today that we have to take care of the bill or they will charge us $20 a day for each line by tomorrow 2/8/22.

6. My family and I have been with T-mobile for over 10 years and we travel often. In order to not be charged extra for the bill, we always buy the international package but we did not expect to be turned away like this when we asked for T-mobile's help even though we have been loyal to them for over a decade. We are reconsidering switching over to another company because of the way we have been treated.

Everything I've  read is you need to make sure you don't connect to the cruise ships connection. They have their own roaming charges that aren't included in  Tmobile's roaming agreement.

In short don't use cellular roaming while on a cruise ship. T-Mobile will rip you off 

They did the Same to me they don’t explain or have it in your contract about sailing charge T- mobile will send you a bill and will not give you any credit but 50.dollars.

I have to cut my service off due to 372.00 sailing charge I can’t afford to pay that kind of money. It a total rip off look like T- mobile could’ve explained it in my contract. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There's a link in the terms and conditions under the international roaming section to where you can check the rates.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/international-roaming-plans