Solved

Porting out number but keeping the plan

• 3 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Is it possible to port the number out on my current account, while keeping my plan and getting a new phone number for it.

No guesses please. This question is for an employee.

If it’s not possible, what about - as a work-around - getting a 2nd line on the account, but porting out the number on the original line?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 24 February 2022, 22:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Without knowing what plans and promos you’re signed up for, I’d air on the side of caution before you make the change. Some plan offers/promos require that you keep the line in order to keep that offer. Have our Care team look over your account before you make that change to be on the safe side.

Badge

Assume I’m not obligated to any promo, agreement, contract, etc.

Is it possible?

@traskada did @tmo_mike_c or anyone answer your question? I am curious about this as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@traskada did @tmo_mike_c or anyone answer your question? I am curious about this as well.

Without knowing what plans and promos you’re signed up for, I’d air on the side of caution before you make the change. Some plan offers/promos require that you keep the line in order to keep that offer. Have our Care team look over your account before you make that change to be on the safe side.

i would contact TMO either through Facebook or Twitter..higher tier support and they should be able to answer your questions.

the only employees in here are admins/moderators for the site only..they do not have account access

Thanks @fireguy_6364 You may be spot on here.

I have had a similar situation with AT&T where I ported a number and canceled the account but they continued to bill me for 3 months. They sent the amount for collections it took me two months to get it resolved only thru a Twitter post complaining about the bad service by AT&T.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You can’t port out a number to replace it with another.  You could port in the number or setup a new number on the plan, then port out the other number after the other one is confirmed on the same plan.  

Badge

You can’t port out a number to replace it with another.  You could port in the number or setup a new number on the plan, then port out the other number after the other one is confirmed on the same plan.  

@cuttarkar -- This is essentially correct, and what I confirmed with TMO CS. You add a 2nd line with the plan you like, which keeps the account open, and you can then safely port out the number on the original line, which would remove that line from your account. As long as there’s at least one active line on the account, it’ll remain open. You’d still want to run that plan by TMO CS first to make sure there’s no obstacles for your specific account, but otherwise, it should work.