Question

Problem Receiving email-to-SMS messages

• 14 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

After switching from Verizon to TMobile a few months ago, I recently discovered that some alerts from work (sent to my ##########@tmomail.net address) were not being received on my phone.  These alerts are also sent to several of my colleagues on other non-TMobile carriers and are still being received just fine via SMS on their cell phones.  Here’s what I have tested so far:

1. The alerting system in question includes the ability to send test messages.  These messages arrive to my phone just fine.  This should indicate that the sending address/domain is not being blocked.
  2. Tried using another family member’s TMobile phone.  This experienced the same behavior.  Test messages were received, but real alerts are not.
  3. Checked with our email admin and verified that the outgoing messages are being sent by our mail server and no errors are being reported.
  4. Adjusted the message format/content of the alerts to rule out a character limitation.  Current alert message is less than 50 characters.
  5. Messages from a different alerting system are successfully delivered
  6. The same alerts that fail for me are still successfully received by non-TMobile users

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with SMS messages sent via email?  Thanks in advance!

3 replies

We are having the same issue since Jan 12 2023. Intermedia sends test fine by email to sms are no longer coming thru. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile heavily filters the SMS gateway for SPAM. Essentially, it’s OK for personal use but any sort of bulk mailings will get sent to the bit-bucket. There’s a way that a bulk e-mailer can request an exemption but I forgot the details.

Badge

I am too having this problem again. This has been a few times with t-mobile I’ve had this problem but before when it was Sprint I never had issues. I can’t remember how I contacted T-Mobile before in the past to get it fixed but it gets frustrating trying to get time to get it fixed again and it’s a pain when I can’t get notifications from my systems.