Problem with Insurance coverage replacement

Anyone else experience this problem?

So I spent the day on the phone trying to get the replacement iPhone 7 plus 128 for a phone that was diagnosed as having a mechanical issue.  The phone was replaced last year and I was sent to Apple, as per T-Mobile, for a replacement under the manufacturers warranty. Seems Apple gave me a non-t-mobile phone and T-Mobile was not going to cover it. Gave me several reasons including that it was out of warranty! I have been paying for coverage almost $15 each month!

Even told me that the phone is not covered for mechanical failures once the warranty expires.  So they are saying that they sold me insurance that is only valid during the manufacturers warranty period.  Unreal. They even tried to say Apple should be responsible.  How?  I am insured with Assurant for this problem.

Even Assurant agreed the phone is suppose to be covered but that T-Mobile has directed them to refer issues such as this to T-Mobile for replacement, etc.  So finally T-Mobile agreed to replace the phone but now they do not have a iPhone 7 plus with 128 gb storage.  So they say, oh we can upgrade you and will give you $350 off an iPhone X and keep the non working brick.

Wow, what a deal.  I can easily go buy a phone at Costco for the same type of similar deal or go to any other store.

So bottom line is T-Mobile and Assurant are pointing at each other and not honoring the coverage agreement which I have been paying for over the last 2 years..  Only option is to file for arbitration against Assurant on this as per the coverage contract.

10 replies

I recieved a replacement device due to an insurance claim over a cracked screen. The current cracked device kind of works for practical uses and I'm happy for that. Received replacement device today. Was excited to send the cracked one back and be good to go. However the new device quickly showed issues. It is a little choppy when responding to touch. Also I noticed it doesn't connect to wifi or tmobile server as strongly as my cracked device. I'm sure i was sent a refurbished device. However for it to overheat so quickly was suprising.  My cracked device runs better. Not satisfied with the insurance I pay monthly. How can u handle an insurance claim by issuing a defective device? Sure the reps are nice, but what kind of service are we paying for when we get insurance? Might as well purchase device and insurance elsewhere

Badge

its a scam. cancel. no one has ever had a good experience. if you are lucky enough to get replacement phone its worth less than $200 deductible. 

Userlevel 1

My son’s phone stopped connecting to data. After going to the store and then spending 2 hours on the phone with tech support, they couldn’t fix it. They told me to go through insurance.  I couldn’t get into the insurance system because it claimed my PIN was wrong (even though I used it multiple times to get through to customer service). Finally, they said they could do a warranty exchange at the store. I asked multiple times if the cracked screen would be a problem and they said it wouldn’t.  It worked fine on wifi, so that was obviously not the problem. I went to pick it up and they wouldn’t exchange it because of the cracked screen, so either they flat out lied on the phone or the agent was just an idiot. Not sure which.  I then tried to get through to insurance online but it told me I had to call. The t mobile agents were no help either.  I finally managed to get his texts to work on wifi (they weren’t working that way for a while) and was able to get through all the ridiculous insurance stuff with a one time code.  Honestly, I am totally ready to switch back to Verizon now. I had them for 10 years and made an insurance claim once. It was super easy and I got a new phone and not a refurbished one. The people in the stores were totally useless too.  I had been; relatively happy with t mobile when I didn’t have a problem, but as soon as there was a problem, they pretty much sucked. 

Badge

I am going through this exact same thing now with Assurant.  Did you ever get any kind of resolution to this issue?  Did you file for arbitration?

Userlevel 1

I finally got through and got a refurbished phone for him for the $100 deductible. He has had it since and it works fine so far. I immediately canceled insurance though. If it happens again, I will get him a cheap, unlocked phone somewhere. T Mobile and Assurant customer service sucked too much to go through that again.

Badge

Thanks so much for the response.  Who finally solved the problem?  TMobile or Assurant? Did this happen because you continued to badger them?  If so, did you find a way to go up a level in the organizations or was it just a random rep at one of the companies that finally was willing to solve the problem?  

Userlevel 1

Assurant did it but I never talked to a person. After 2 days, I finally managed to get through their stupid system of prompts and get them to send me the new phone. T Mobile was useless!

Seems like Insurance is crap, File a claim and wait. Never have I had such bad Ins. Most times with other Ins they complete and send new phone the same day. Will be asking for full refund of Ins because it is useless with a refund it would pay for phone.

I'm going through this now with mechanical issues that are suppose to be covered. They're pointing the finger at each other. I went to the store 3 times, talked to about 15 tmo reps and 3 Assurant reps. Me and the rep at the tmo store even called tmo support. This is the second unlocked phone that i've purchased through Samsung that they refuse to cover. They claim its still in warranty so Samsung should lift the weight. My phone's warranty expired on the 26th. Data issues have been reoccurring with no resolution on tmo part. One TMO rep even tried blaming it on my phone lol. Welp start filing bbb reports, i think i'll get legal assistance with this issue. My 360 protection byob clearly states that it's extended out of warranty coverage for mechanical, theft/loss and cracked screens. Asurion was no hassles but Assurant and Tmo yeah naww. Such a rip. I'll be filing with the AG also. Pure buxxxx from both of them this is why i stopped purchasing their phonesa d go straight to Samsung. 

Same issue!  So frustrated with both T mobile and assurant!  Went into a t mobole store to ask for assistance and they gave me piece of paper with assurants phone number like that helped!