Question

Putting new SIM into older phone to see if old Sprint service plan is as promised?

• 18 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m one of the Sprint customers who t-mobile/Sprint has been warning us for months our particular older phones will stop working soon.

I have my wife’s  SONIM XP3 working  on a current valid t-mobile account,

T-mobile just sent me a new Actel GoFlip (to replace MY old Sprint flipphone which they say will stop working on the network soon.)

The new phone comes with it’s own SIM and I could activate it the ordinary way, but as soon as I do my old Sprint phone , which I love, would stop working. immediately, and likely could never be reactivated. (I DO understand I COULD just do an ordinary activation of the new phone on my own account and have 14 days to return it if I don’t like it, but as I said that would burn my bridge back to my current working old Sprint phone… which as far as I can tell will likely keep working for at least two more months despite t-mobile’s dire warnings.)

I have a very unique older plan (FWIW it’s called “free and clear”) on the old Sprint phone. T-mobile has promised me that when I activate the Actel that will be preserved with all its features. I don’t completely trust that because I’ve had inconsistant answers from t-mobile on that.

So BEFORE activating the new phone I’m thinking of doing this: Put the new SIM (which should be associated with my current Sprint.t-mobile phone number? right? Or not?) into my wife’s working/activated SONIM and see if the connection/service has my accounts expected/promised service plan features.

Think that would work? Or is that new SIM actually a blank slate not associated with any account yet?

Any harm in TRYING that swap?

Alex

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Devices do not require activation on T-Mobile.  If your T-Mobile SIM is active and your Sprint device is SIM unlocked.  You should be able to successfully put it in your old Psrint phone to see if it still works.  What is making these devices not compatible though, is their VoLTE and WiFi Calling implementation, which is not supported by T-Mobile.  Devices must be T-Mobile VoLTE compatible to continue to work on T-Mobile's network. 

If your Sprint device is SIM locked, which you can determine by putting the inactivated T-Mobile SIM into the device to see if it tells you that the SIM is unsupported.